locked
Computer can't connect to the server to restore backed up files RRS feed

  • Question

  • I haven't been able to find anyone with this exact problem, so hopefully I'm not asking something that's already been answered. I recently had to replace a failed hard drive in a laptop that was backed up to the server. Instead of doing a full restore, I just wanted to install Windows (to get a "fresh" install) and then restore the data that I cared about. I installed and restored yesterday without any problems, but I realized today that I missed a few files and so I'm trying to restore more files to the computer. This is where the problem starts, when I click on "Restore files or folders for the computer", it opens up the restore wizard, but after several minutes of trying to connect it comes up with a message saying:

    "The restore process did not succeed

    Cannot initiate restore process

    The wizard cannot connect to the backup service provider on the server. Make sure that all services are running on the server and on the computer to which you want to restore files or folders. Make sure also that the computer is connected to the network, and then try again."

    I've tried restarting all the services on the server that appear to have anything to do with backups and that hasn't helped. I foolishly put some data that I don't have backed up elsewhere (it's my wife's stuff actually, and she's going to be very upset if I can't get it restored...). Does anyone have any ideas for getting this problem fixed? Since we only have two days left until this preview of Vail stops working I'm getting a little nervous.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas (or better yet, solutions!).

    Saturday, January 8, 2011 11:20 PM

Answers

  • When I've had this problem, which seems to happen fairly often, uninstalling and re-installing the connector on the client machine seems to fix it.  I've also tried restarting any service that seems like it might be related, but nothing besides a re-install seems to work.

    Good Luck,

    John


    Vail Server HW: Asus socket 775 mobo, E6500 dual core processor. 4 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 5400 RPM drives, 1 IDE DVD drive, 2GB RAM, latest build of Vail
    • Marked as answer by nerdherd1 Sunday, January 9, 2011 4:48 AM
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 3:29 AM

All replies

  • First, make sure you've been using the server backup feature. I can't swear to it, but it seems likely that the backup database format won't change, so you'll have another chance in a few weeks if you restore the database to the next beta.

    That said, try accessing the backup from another computer joined to your Vail server, to see if you can get to it. Also, try setting both your Vail server and the home computer you're trying to restore files to to use DHCP, then connect them directly (no switch, no router, no internet).


    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 2:35 AM
    Moderator
  • When I've had this problem, which seems to happen fairly often, uninstalling and re-installing the connector on the client machine seems to fix it.  I've also tried restarting any service that seems like it might be related, but nothing besides a re-install seems to work.

    Good Luck,

    John


    Vail Server HW: Asus socket 775 mobo, E6500 dual core processor. 4 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda 5400 RPM drives, 1 IDE DVD drive, 2GB RAM, latest build of Vail
    • Marked as answer by nerdherd1 Sunday, January 9, 2011 4:48 AM
    Sunday, January 9, 2011 3:29 AM