Updating sales process workflow rules RRS feed

• Question

• If I update the rules for the sales process workflow (either directly in the manager or via an import), these rules are not applied to any open opportunities.  By that I mean if you look at the workflow for a particular opportunity which had entered the sales process prior to the updates, it still shows the old rules.  Is there any way to force the changes on these open opportunities?

Thanks,
    Sean
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:48 PM

Answers

• This is deliberate behaviour.  If a sales process is in progress and the rule is changed it is arguable as to what should happen. CRM takes the view that any workflow (or sales process) that is running continues even if the rule definition should change. Any other option is bound to cause confusion.

I think there is no way to force the changes as you require. You will need to identify each running workflow, cancel it and then invoke the (new) workflow. There may be a programmatical way to achieve this - but I couldn't say.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:57 PM

All replies

• This is deliberate behaviour.  If a sales process is in progress and the rule is changed it is arguable as to what should happen. CRM takes the view that any workflow (or sales process) that is running continues even if the rule definition should change. Any other option is bound to cause confusion.

I think there is no way to force the changes as you require. You will need to identify each running workflow, cancel it and then invoke the (new) workflow. There may be a programmatical way to achieve this - but I couldn't say.

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 8:57 PM
  • I think there is no way for this..

might be javascript can do this..  http://blogs.infinite-x.net/2007/06/15/launching-a-workflow-rule-from-javascript/

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 6:09 AM
  • As Feridun states, this is by design. There are no useful code workarounds on the sales process; it's possible to programmatcally start a workflow process, but not to cancel one, nor advance one to a particular stage.

The only option I can see is to programmatically recreate all opportunities, but this would be a lot of work

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 8:53 AM
  • This is what I had assumed.  Thanks for verifying.
    Tuesday, April 1, 2008 3:10 PM