Backup Folder designation RRS feed

• Question

• I use MSMoney on one of two computers, both running W7x64

On computer 1, the backups go into c:\users\ron\documents
    On computer 2, the backups go into d:\users\ron\documents

My data file is in the same folder and, as you can see, the only naming difference is the drive letter.

Is there something I can use that will automatically be interpreted as the appropriate drive depending on which computer Money is running; or must I remember to change this manually depending on which computer I am using?

Ron
    Monday, February 28, 2011 1:22 PM

All replies

• Ron, I will leave it to you to test and let us know if it it actually works out as I would guess. Note that you can execute

dir %USERPROFILE%\documents

in a command window in either computer, and it will show the appropriate folder. Thus I suggest something such as

%USERPROFILE%\documents\RonMon

for the root of your backup files your first SaveIn value in the Money  Tools->BackupSettings.  I would suggest using a USB flash drive for the scheduled backup. It is possible in each computer to set the drive designation for the same USB flash drive to V:, for example, so that you could plug that same drive into each computer. 

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:24 PM
  • On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:24:48 +0000, Cal Learner wrote:

>
    >
    >Ron, I will leave it to you to test and let us know if it it actually works out as I would guess. Note that you can execute
    >
    >dir %USERPROFILE%\documents
    >
    >in a command window in either computer, and it will show the appropriate folder. Thus I suggest something such as
    >
    >%USERPROFILE%\documents\RonMon
    >
    >for the root of your backup files your first SaveIn value in the Money  Tools->BackupSettings.  I would suggest using a USB flash drive for the scheduled backup. It is possible in each computer to set the drive designation for the same USB flash drive to V:, for example, so that you could plug that same drive into each computer. 

No, that doesn't work  -- get a message to the effect that it's not a valid pathname.

Omitting the disk drive letter results in the appropriate disk drive being prepended in the box; and that will "stick".

Using a USB drive makes things unneccessarily complex for me.  Something else to have to carry around or backup and restore.  I already have a separate backup on an NAS.

Thanks anyway.

Ron
    Monday, February 28, 2011 9:20 PM
  • OK. Here is another one that did not work, and this one I tested. I entered

.\RonMon

It got overwritten.  

New one:

subst X: c:\users\ron\documents

subst X: d:\users\ron\documents

Do those initialization commands on the respective computers. Then make the SaveIn value be X:\RonMon

Monday, February 28, 2011 9:33 PM
  • On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:33:12 +0000, Cal Learner wrote:

>
    >
    >OK. Here is another one that did not work, and this one I tested. I entered
    >
    >.\RonMon
    >
    >It got overwritten.  
    >
    >New one:
    >
    >subst X: c:\users\ron\documents
    >
    >subst X: d:\users\ron\documents
    >
    >Do those initialization commands on the respective computers. Then make the SaveIn value be X:\RonMon
    >

Thanks very much, Cal.

I was not aware of the subst command.

This will be useful not only for  the Money Backup, but also I will no longer have to edit the location of the Money File for my Money Link add-in in Excel when switching computers !!!

-- Ron

Ron
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:00 AM

>
    >
    >OK. Here is another one that did not work, and this one I tested. I entered
    >
    >.\RonMon
    >
    >It got overwritten.  
    >
    >New one:
    >
    >subst X: c:\users\ron\documents
    >
    >
    >Do those initialization commands on the respective computers. Then make the SaveIn value be X:\RonMon
    >

I discovered an unfortunate problem with SUBST.  It does not survive a machine reboot.  There seem to be some workarounds, which I will explore, including symbolic links, and either a batch file in my startup directory, or a registry hack.

Do you have thoughts as to which approach might be best?  I'm tending towards the symbolic link method since both machines have W7.

Ron
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:18 PM

I discovered an unfortunate problem with SUBST.  It does not survive a machine reboot.  There seem to be some workarounds, which I will explore, including symbolic links, and either a batch file in my startup directory, or a registry hack.

Do you have thoughts as to which approach might be best?  I'm tending towards the symbolic link method since both machines have W7.

Ron

I was thinking of doing initialization commands by making an entry in the Startup folder of each computer. I tend to think of batch files, so my untested idea would be to put these commands into a batch file, and to put a shortcut to to the batch file into the Startup folder:

subst X: d:\users\ron\documents

exit

There are ways of doing it with the registry too, but the Startup folder is easier to track. And there is probably a way to do it with a shortcut in the Startup folder that does not involve a batch file.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:35 PM
  • On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 18:35:21 +0000, Cal Learner wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:33:12 +0000, Cal Learner wrote:     I discovered an unfortunate problem with SUBST.  It does not survive a machine reboot.  There seem to be some workarounds, which I will explore, including symbolic links, and either a batch file in my startup directory, or a registry hack.   Do you have thoughts as to which approach might be best?  I'm tending towards the symbolic link method since both machines have W7.  
    >Ron
    >
    >I was thinking of doing initialization commands by making an entry in the Startup folder of each computer. I tend to think of batch files, so my untested idea would be to put these commands into a batch file, and to put a shortcut to to the batch file into the Startup folder:
    >
    >
    >exit
    >
    >There are ways of doing it with the registry too, but the Startup folder is easier to track. And there is probably a way to do it with a shortcut in the Startup folder that does not involve a batch file.
    >

Well, I tried a Symbolic Link instead.  It seemed a bit simpler to set this up as a one time event.

C:\MoneyBackups  --> C:\Users\Ron\Documents

and then in the Money Backup setup:   C:\MoneyBackups\Ron Backup

Seems to work; doesn't get changed; and persists between reboots.

I think all I should have to do is to set up a link on the other computer:

C:\MoneyBackups --> D:\Users\Ron\Documents

and I should be good.

Ron
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:26 PM