Problem removing hard drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everyone,

I've been runnning WHS for a couple of days now just to get a feel for the software and how it works, I added additional internal IDE hard drives to the machine and transferred all of my music, pictures and software files to the server machine just to test everything was working as it should, but now I seem to be having difficulties removing one of those internal IDE drives.

The drive I'm trying to remove is 150GB, I have plenty of additional storage inside the box to compensate for this removal (in other words there's plenty of additional space to transfer any data from this drive). In the WHS Control Panel I highlighted this 150GB drive and clicked on the Remove button, it ran a few tests to make sure the drive could be safely removed without any loss of data, and that came back as being ok, just as I would have expected. I then clicked the Finish button to start the drive removal and it displayed a message indicating this process can take several hours to complete - I sighed a little and went about doing other stuff around the house and left the WHS to complete its task, but that was at about 7pm last night - it's now almost 6:30pm the following day and the removal has still not completed.

Apart from the unbelievable amount of time its taking, everything else is runnning fine. The server hasn't stopped responding, I can use it exactly as I could before, I can connect to it from a different machine and log in remotely. Nothing has apparently stopped functioning on the WHS box but it just seems to be taking forever to remove this drive - is this length of time normal? I can't believe for a moment that it is.

I'm VERY reluctant to turn the machine off and remove the drive for fear of corrupting or losing the data stored on it, or worse still completly killing the hard drive.

Can someone offer any help or advice as to firstly if it's normal to take this length of time to remove a drive of 150GB, and secondly if as I suspect its not, what options are available to remove this drive without loss of data. Is it safe to just turn the box off at the plug socket, remove the hard drive and put it into another machine (for example one with XP installed) and transfer the data to that machine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm starting to panic a little now

Kind Regards,

Wayne

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 5:50 PM

Answers

• Wayne

That is not normal!

Assuming the data hasnt been removed, you should be able to just plug that drive into any computer and read the data.

Andrew

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Even powering down your server as you suggest should, at most, cost you whatever file it was moving at the time it was shut down. If duplication is turned on for all your shares, I wouldn't expect even that. But before you do anything else, could you try resetting the console? You can do that by opening the Options dropdown under the password box in the console. It's possible that your drive will show as removed afterward. Failing that, you can try shutting down the server using the console.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 2:25 AM

All replies

• Wayne

That is not normal!

Assuming the data hasnt been removed, you should be able to just plug that drive into any computer and read the data.

Andrew

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 8:25 PM
  • Even powering down your server as you suggest should, at most, cost you whatever file it was moving at the time it was shut down. If duplication is turned on for all your shares, I wouldn't expect even that. But before you do anything else, could you try resetting the console? You can do that by opening the Options dropdown under the password box in the console. It's possible that your drive will show as removed afterward. Failing that, you can try shutting down the server using the console.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2008 2:25 AM