SyncToy 2.0 - Check file contents - changes on both sides - last wins RRS feed

• Question

• Hello together,

I have installed Synctoy 2.0 on a computer running Win XP Pro SP3 Version 2002 eng (left Side) and have a computer running Win XP Pro SP3 Version 2002 ger (right side) with a share "temp".

I have configured a folder pair SYNC on left Side D:\Test and on the right side \\192.168.10.21\temp

The synchronisation action is doing well. - BUT:

1.) as described in the help text :

"Note: SyncToy does not actually delete any files by default. It merely moves the files to the Recycle Bin. To change this behavior, uncheck the "Save overwritten files in the Recycle Bin" option in the folder pair option window."

i have no files in the recycle bin!

2.) as described in the help text :

"Check file contents: This option is off by default. When running with “check file contents” selected, SyncToy will perform a SHA1 hash against all files. This hash, which is mathematically guaranteed to produce a unique value for the file's content, is used to compare files when determining whether files on both sides of the folder pair are already in sync. Selecting this option will make a SyncToy preview or run take longer, but provides a guarantee that SyncToy will never conclude that two files with the same name, size and date are identical when in fact their contents are different. If files might have the same timestamps and equal sizes, we recommend that the Check File Contents option is selected before running the folder pair action."

Save overwritten files in the Recycle Bin: This option is on by default. Before overwriting an older file with a newer file or deleting a file, by default SyncToy will move the older file to the Recycle Bin. If this option is unchecked, the older file is overwritten with the newer file or, if it's being deleted, it is deleted permanently. The older file can not be recovered in that case, but less disk space is used.

when i change on the left side the content in the file and change it also on the right side or vis versa - the last change wins, and I never have files in the recycle bin!

Please give me a hand, is this a bug or a missunderstanding from my side?

Thanks Mario

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Check the settings on the RecycleBin, that space is available. And then delete a file from Explorer to verify the file is moved to the RecycleBin.

The files being deleted must be on a local share, not on a network share.

Thanks

Willie

Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:28 PM
  • Hello Willie,

thanks for your help. I checked this two times before i start the sync. Normal deleted files will go to the recycler.

You are right, it´s only on the local share, but when the synctoy find´s a changed file on the right side and my file has also changed on the left side, in my understanding, there must be two files now on the left side.

Do you agree or do you think different?`

Thanks

Mario

Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:23 AM