none
Server Storage Issue. Need Help! RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hey Guys, Here's my problem.

    I have 2 x 750 gig drives on my windows home server. Both drives have been on the server since it was setup about a year ago. I am now at the point where one of the drives is 96% full the other is at 4%. Since the one drive has hit 95% moving files over my network to and from the server has come to a crawl. I'm getting 1.1 megs/second over my gigabit network down from 20-50 megs/second.

    I'm figuring this has to do with the drive being at 96% so what is up with WHS data distribution? Is this normal? Will WHS move more data to the second drive to free up space?

    Any insight/answers would be helpful. THX!!!

    Note:

    Disk 0 is at 4%
    Disk 1 is at 96%
    Storage Pool Is 1.36 TB
    Free Space is at 686 GB
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 2:25 AM

Answers

  • pnapp1 said:

    It's an OEM. It is Version 6.0.1771.0. Disk 0 is the OS and is also 679 GB of the data pool.

    Here is what diskeeper tells me:

    DISK 0
    SYS (C:) 20 GB
    DATA (D:) 679 GB 97% Free Space

    DISK 1
    DATA (Mounted at C:\fs\4\) 699 GB 3% Free Space and it's status is critical.


    First thing I would suggest is to uninstall the Pre-Release version of Power Pack 1, then install the RTM version of it (and the extra update for PP1).  Logon to the server desktop and uninstall the Pre-Release version through Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show updates is checked as well).

    Second, you say "it's status is critical".  Where do you see that message?
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:03 AM
    Moderator

All replies

  • pnapp1 said:

    Hey Guys, Here's my problem.

    I have 2 x 750 gig drives on my windows home server. Both drives have been on the server since it was setup about a year ago. I am now at the point where one of the drives is 96% full the other is at 4%. Since the one drive has hit 95% moving files over my network to and from the server has come to a crawl. I'm getting 1.1 megs/second over my gigabit network down from 20-50 megs/second.

    I'm figuring this has to do with the drive being at 96% so what is up with WHS data distribution? Is this normal?
     

    Yes.  WHS tries to keep all of the files together.  It uses the drive with the least free space first.

    pnapp1 said:

    Will WHS move more data to the second drive to free up space?

    Assuming that Disk 0 is your primary drive (where the OS is), no.

    pnapp1 said:

    Any insight/answers would be helpful. THX!!!

    Note:

    Disk 0 is at 4%
    Disk 1 is at 96%
    Storage Pool Is 1.36 TB
    Free Space is at 686 GB

    Is this an HP MSS or OEM license?  What version are the component numbers on your server (from the Console, click the Settings button, then Resources tab)?  Can you confirm that Disk 0 is the primary drive (where the C and D partitions are located)?

    Thursday, November 6, 2008 2:32 AM
    Moderator
  • It's an OEM. It is Version 6.0.1771.0. Disk 0 is the OS and is also 679 GB of the data pool.

    Here is what diskeeper tells me:

    DISK 0
    SYS (C:) 20 GB
    DATA (D:) 679 GB 97% Free Space

    DISK 1
    DATA (Mounted at C:\fs\4\) 699 GB 3% Free Space and it's status is critical.
    • Edited by pnapp1 Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:15 AM
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:14 AM
  • pnapp1 said:

    It's an OEM. It is Version 6.0.1771.0. Disk 0 is the OS and is also 679 GB of the data pool.

    Here is what diskeeper tells me:

    DISK 0
    SYS (C:) 20 GB
    DATA (D:) 679 GB 97% Free Space

    DISK 1
    DATA (Mounted at C:\fs\4\) 699 GB 3% Free Space and it's status is critical.


    First thing I would suggest is to uninstall the Pre-Release version of Power Pack 1, then install the RTM version of it (and the extra update for PP1).  Logon to the server desktop and uninstall the Pre-Release version through Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show updates is checked as well).

    Second, you say "it's status is critical".  Where do you see that message?
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:03 AM
    Moderator
  • I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

    THX!!!
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:10 AM