WGA Problems with used laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a used laptop with Windows XP on it. I had every reason to believe the software was legal. In June I started getting popups that said my software was not "genuine". I clicked to "resolve now" to see what this was all about. Not having the money to pay for the software AGAIN, I would then always click to "resolve later" when this popup came up. The laptop would always proceed to boot up as normal. After a few weeks of this I had to start going into the boot options and tell it to "boot from last known good configuration". This lasted a few weeks. Now when I turn on the laptop, no matter what I do, It will only boot up to a blank screen. I can't get to the desktop at all. Any help out there? Has this happened to asnyone else?
    Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:07 PM

Answers

• Patricia44,

I was hoping that you would be able to at least run the computer in Safe Mode.

It would be very rare for a laptop to have been shipped from its manufacturer without an installed Windows operating system.  Please look on the bottom for a Certificate of Authenticity.

Please tell us the exact make and model of laptop.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 2:47 AM

All replies

• Patricia44,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

In your situation see if you can download and run the utility from Safe Mode.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Also, please state the exact make and model of laptop.

Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:19 PM
  • Maybe I wasn't clear.....I CAN NOT even get to the desktop on my laptop. There is NO way for me to run the utility. The seller gave me NO papers with my laptop.
    Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:25 PM
  • Contact the manufacturer of your laptop and request their OEM Windows XP recovery, restore, or reinstallation CD designed for your specific laptop model.
    Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:33 PM
  • Patricia44,

I was hoping that you would be able to at least run the computer in Safe Mode.

It would be very rare for a laptop to have been shipped from its manufacturer without an installed Windows operating system.  Please look on the bottom for a Certificate of Authenticity.

Please tell us the exact make and model of laptop.

Sunday, August 20, 2006 2:47 AM