Restoring a Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having difficulty restoring my acer laptop.

When i run the restore cd it boots fine but then won't find the server. I've connected a network cable and it finds it but then returns an unexpected network error.
    I've tried connecting directly to the server using a crossover cable, but this doesn't even find it.

Anyone got any suggestions to what i'm doing wrong??

Thanks

Darren
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Darren,
    unfortunately there is no diagnostics in the recovery CD included.
    Some things you can try:
    Disable the WLAN adapter in the Bios of the laptop, so that it cannot interfere with the LAN adapter.
    Crosslink cable will not work, because there is no DHCP server accessible, providing the necessary IP address to the client.
    Disconnect your router from the Internet (just in case the server name is be found somewhere in the Internet instead of your home).
    Try to download and extract the most current Vista drivers for your laptop and use those.

Another option would be, to remove the harddisk from the laptop and attach it to a normal PC - either with a USB to SATA/IDE connector or by connecting it directly to the mainboard of that PC (which must have the connector software installed and be able to communicate with the WHS).
    Then run on this PC discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server - this will offer the same restore functions as the recovery CD, but does not need additional drivers.
    Carefully select the target partition on the laptop disk to not overwrite the normal PCs disk by mistake.

Since you already had to do this before, maybe the problem is on the side of the WHS - Firewall settings, DNS, or something like that.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:55 PM

All replies

• Darren,
    Have you provided the needed drivers?
    If you haven't, these are available in a copy of the Clients' backup and are all collected together in a folder named surprisingly enough Driver for Restore. You can copy this folder to a USB stick and then plug that into the laptop when you are doing the restore.
    Note that you have to use a wired connection through a router/DHCP server, as the Client needs an IP address assigned. A wireless connection just won't work because of encryption/passwords etc.

Good luck,

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    • Proposed as answer by Lara JonesModerator Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:48 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Darren2000 Wednesday, October 8, 2008 6:05 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:44 PM
  • Can you tell us more about your laptop? What model is it? What operating system does it run?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 7:56 PM
  • hi it's an Acer 5633 with Vista home premium on it

has stopped loading and repair doesn't work so trying to restore from the server, but currently unable to get it too work

I restored a desktop recently and had the same problem. eventually took the hdd out and installed in another pc then used the restore facility from a booted system to restore the hdd.

just going to try the drivers issue.
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:01 PM
  •  put the drivers on usb stick and loaded them but made no difference.

Still finds the server and then after i enter the password it says unknown network error occurred and fails.

Darren
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Hi Darren,
    unfortunately there is no diagnostics in the recovery CD included.
    Some things you can try:
    Disable the WLAN adapter in the Bios of the laptop, so that it cannot interfere with the LAN adapter.
    Crosslink cable will not work, because there is no DHCP server accessible, providing the necessary IP address to the client.
    Disconnect your router from the Internet (just in case the server name is be found somewhere in the Internet instead of your home).
    Try to download and extract the most current Vista drivers for your laptop and use those.

Another option would be, to remove the harddisk from the laptop and attach it to a normal PC - either with a USB to SATA/IDE connector or by connecting it directly to the mainboard of that PC (which must have the connector software installed and be able to communicate with the WHS).
    Then run on this PC discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server - this will offer the same restore functions as the recovery CD, but does not need additional drivers.
    Carefully select the target partition on the laptop disk to not overwrite the normal PCs disk by mistake.

Since you already had to do this before, maybe the problem is on the side of the WHS - Firewall settings, DNS, or something like that.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 8:55 PM
  • thanks for that. I'll get an adaptor today so i can plug it into the pc and restore it that way.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 6:04 AM
  • Olaf Engelke said:

Not correct, actually. A crosslink cable, with WHS on one end and the client computer on the other, will work fine if both are configured to use DHCP. In the absence of a DHCP server, DHCP-configured Windows computers use Automatic Private IP Addressing; both computers are guaranteed to wind up on the same subnet.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 6:52 PM