Excel Right Click Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Where I work they have just migrated to MS Office 2003.  Now I have a problem with Excel.  It is no longer possible to right click in a cell and have the drop down menu appear.  It just doesn't work at all.  Our people have uninstalled and reinstalled,  Installed all required patches and are still puzzled.  We have tried everything, switches, etc. too no avail.  It is very frustrating and interfering with my ability to get my job done.  If someone could come up with an idea I would certainly appreciate the information.

This really is urgent.

AMorr

Thursday, September 20, 2007 12:31 PM

All replies

• I work with MS Office 2007 and I have the same problem in Excel. No drop down menu with a right mouse click. I cant work with Excel 2007 anymore. I need also the information to fix the problem.

RolfH

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 3:35 PM
  • Did you recently installed Essbase/Excel add-ins?  When the Essbase/Excel add-in is installed, the default behavior is for Essbase to "take over" your right mouse click.  This is because the Excel add-in provides for some additional Essbase functionality.  (The problem is that it is installed without your knowledge)

To regain control of your right mouse pop up menu in Excel:

• Go to the Essbase menu and choose Options....
    • Click on the global tab
    • Uncheck the "enable secondary button" under the "mouse actions" section

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:17 AM
  • Thank you...it worked! 

Friday, February 22, 2008 6:45 PM
  • Actually, the problem appeared to be with another program written with Microsoft Access.  While using the Access program you actually entered data into Excel.  While using the program, it was written to override Excel during the time you are using it and then, relinquish that control when you close the program.  Somehow, someone had changed the programming and blown the last part where the control for Excel was returned.  It was an inhouse issued and it took some sleuthing to discover.  It has now been corrected (for the most part).  Occassionally it still happens and when it does, I just have to open the Access program, enter some data, then save and close the program and everything is fine again.

Go figure.

Thank you for your suggestion though, I really appreciate it.

AMorr

Friday, February 22, 2008 7:27 PM
  • I spent quite sometime to resolve this issue.

here was my scenerio:

Computer that was having a problem with had a logitec wireless Keyboard and wireless mouse. Both had a saperate USB Adaptor. I remove the mouse USB adaptor. Since both were logitec, mouse did work wth the keyboard adaptor. And rigth click function got back to normal.

Hopefully this resolve the problem for you as well.

Friday, September 5, 2008 8:10 PM
  • where  can I find the Essbase menu?

Thursday, December 4, 2008 3:03 PM