none
Do you want more space between lines in the TechNet branded forum? RRS feed

• Question

• For example: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/b9917a03-f0f9-4e04-94cf-8851b84fc2ce

I found myself adding a white space line (press the spacebar and Enter) between every line/paragraph I wrote, just to make it possible to read it.

For example, so far, each line in this thread has not been given a white space line. I find it difficult to read without space between lines/paragraphs.

Now I'm going to include the lines between paragraphs below so that you can see the difference.

This is now what it looks like with more space between the lines.

And here's how it looks with a full paragraph...

Test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test.

So do you think we should have more line space between the lines with the TechNet branding?

If you can't see a difference in what I'm doing, you should view this page with the TechNet branding: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/cb2d5194-5058-43e0-9dd6-93fca25ae7c9

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Of the three brandings, I find it easiest to read MSDN: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/cb2d5194-5058-43e0-9dd6-93fca25ae7c9

And second easiest to read "Microsoft" branding: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/cb2d5194-5058-43e0-9dd6-93fca25ae7c9

And finally the "TechNet" branding is hard to read: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/cb2d5194-5058-43e0-9dd6-93fca25ae7c9

Do you agree?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:23 PM
  • I agree - I always try to switch back to MSDN if I hit TechNet somehow.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:27 PM
  • UPDATE: So we filed Bug#1197487 about having to press the spacebar just for a space to show up. It's another good bug. I'm checking to see if we can get one filed on just increasing the space in the TechNet branding.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:53 PM
  • So do you think we should have more line space between the lines with the TechNet branding?

I think this may be the wrong question.   What I want is consistency about how Enter and Shift-Enter is treated both on the client and on the host.   That's the main reason why most of my Edits are labeled "This editor is still broken."  E.g. my objection is to having to add an otherwise unnecessary Space just to make the host stop deleting my intended spacing.

I will use this as an example.  I just pressed Enter to end the previous paragraph.  There is a reasonable gap between the last sentence of the previous paragraph and this one but it is not a full line.   But there is also probably an unnecessary gap in line spacing when wrapping the single line of that paragraph, so if anything, there is a lack of contrast because of that.

Here is another paragraph.  But to close my post I want more gap than just a paragraph break.  So, naturally, my inclination is to press Enter twice.  On the client the editor respects that choice (but doesn't initially show it, which is annoying but adjusts as soon as I start typing...)

Edit:  And as expected, after I click Submit and see my post my doublespace is somehow reduced to one.   Worse, when I click Edit it all seems as I originally intended?   How to fix?  Insert Space, Shift-Enter into my otherwise blank line.  Also, now I always use Ctrl-a and check that I have done that so my intended spacing will be preserved.

Robert
    ---

Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:24 PM
  • More paragraph spacing would be useful, yes. However, note that while pressing Enter creates a new paragraph (<p></p>) if you are using Internet Explorer, other browsers may insert line breaks (<br />) instead.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:30 PM
  • So do you think we should have more line space between the lines with the TechNet branding?

I think this may be the wrong question.   What I want is consistency about how Enter and Shift-Enter is treated both on the client and on the host.   That's the main reason why most of my Edits are labeled "This editor is still broken."  E.g. my objection is to having to add an otherwise unnecessary Space just to make the host stop deleting my intended spacing.

I will use this as an example.  I just pressed Enter to end the previous paragraph.  There is a reasonable gap between the last sentence of the previous paragraph and this one but it is not a full line.   But there is also probably an unnecessary gap in line spacing when wrapping the single line of that paragraph, so if anything, there is a lack of contrast because of that.

Here is another paragraph.  But to close my post I want more gap than just a paragraph break.  So, naturally, my inclination is to press Enter twice.  On the client the editor respects that choice (but doesn't initially show it, which is annoying but adjusts as soon as I start typing...)

Edit:  And as expected, after I click Submit and see my post my doublespace is somehow reduced to one.   Worse, when I click Edit it all seems as I originally intended?   How to fix?  Insert Space, Shift-Enter into my otherwise blank line.  Also, now I always use Ctrl-a and check that I have done that so my intended spacing will be preserved.

Robert
    ---

Good, but pressing the Enter key without having to press the Spacebar in order to see a space... That's a different issue, different thread, and there's a bug logged on it. This one is more for folks who don't want to bother with forcing another space. They just want the the different paragraphs legible. I totally agree though, and there is a bug on that.

See my update above about Bug#1197487.

Thanks!

Monday, April 22, 2013 6:25 PM
  • UPDATE: They got this request filed as a bug as well.

Monday, April 22, 2013 6:26 PM
  • the msdn view is superior in every respect.

See how different msdn is from the other two?

Not for me.   Too much gap between wrapped lines and not enough distinction for paragraphs. 

BTW thanks for the demonstration of differences that fonts can make.   So what is an easy way to check that?...   Developer Tools?  Trace Styles, font-family?  font-size?  line-height?  I never know what that really tells me.  FWIW here is a comparison of the three brands from that perspective, (using this thread instead of the TechNet page.  It may help to know how you managed to show a TechNet page with the other brands' CSS?).   I always read this forum in the Microsoft brand.  That's why it is first.  ICIM I transitioned to the other brands simply by inserting or replacing the desired host name level.

Microsoft 

font-family: inherit;
    font-size: 1em;
    font-style: inherit
    font-weight: inherit

TechNet

line-height: 125%

MSDN

line-height: 125%

So examined that way, it looks as if what I might prefer is having that line-height factor added only to paragraph spacing and not to wrapped lines.

I'm seeing this first on IE10 on W7.  I will have to try to remember to look at it again on W8 and see what difference its "blurry font" problem and my compensations for that makes.   I should also try looking at it on my Tablet (where the blurriness is much less noticeable than on a widescreen LED monitor.)

Robert
    ---

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:05 PM