Windows Kitchen RRS feed

• Question

• As reported in Mary Jo Foley's blog All About Microsoft http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=492 "Microsoft is beginning work on the first of what it plans to make a family of customized Windows platforms designed for specific rooms around the home."

Some of the features suggested are similar to those discussed here: "Among the features Microsoft is planning to make part of its forthcoming kitchen computing environment are a family calendar, recipe center, entertainment features and a shared bulletin board, sources added."

"Entertainment features" sound like the media streaming and oft-requested MCE support in some shape or form, and both family calendar and shared bulletin board (and probably "recipe center" as well) could all be Sharepoint Services running off WHS, with "kitchen" just being a specific form factor client device.

This would accelerate WHS's wider adoption, so let's make it happen!

Thursday, June 7, 2007 1:44 PM

All replies

• I'd had exactly the same thought, I don't want a machine for each room, but "add-on" packs for WHS would be great!

Gordon

Thursday, June 7, 2007 2:22 PM
  • It should be wonderful !!!

You buy a WHS, and then

- A Wyse terminal (RDP) to work directly on your server,

- An xbox on your TV to watch media content,

- A MCX in your bedroom ...

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:47 PM
  • I could see a spillproof touchscreen PC running a minimalistic version of Windows, which would link to a recipe share on WHS, where recipes could be stored in Word format.  The computer could have some gadgets (gadgets, widgets, they're all the same, but I think widgets sounds better) for displaying weather forecasts or other things that would be of interest in the kitchen, pop-up onscreen keyboard for typing URLs for a little web surfing while the coffee's brewing in the morning.  Nothing much more fancy than what a mobile device would offer, but geared specifically for the kitchen environment, so the spillproof part is absolutely necessary.

Oh, and it would have a built-in easel stand so it can sit up for easily reading recipes while working in the kitchen.

And if we want it to be really fancy, it could use some of that multi-touch technology like Surface and the iPhone both have

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:37 PM
  • Yeah, one of the things I'd like to see in Surface (and other developments down the line) is a virtual keyboard that can be summoned and dismissed easily; I'm sure they'll do handwriting recognition (this is so much more natural for regular stuff and works really well on my phone) and with the advent of voice recognition built into Vista, big improvements here too. So much easier when you're up to your elbows in preparing food!
    Monday, June 18, 2007 10:31 PM
  • What will the features be for Microsoft Bathroom?

* Air freshener media that a cd/dvd burner can release.
    * TP printer with no ink or toner, just paper feed.
    * Match holder with built in striker.
    * WebMD interface, just in case.
    * Option to phone 911 (or pizza delivery) for emergencies.
    * Access WHS shares. Wink

Monday, June 18, 2007 10:50 PM
  • LOL!!

(Hope you won't mind me unmarking that as an answer!)

Monday, June 18, 2007 10:54 PM
  •  SME wrote:
    What will the features be for Microsoft Bathroom?

* Access WHS shares.

Would Microsoft Bathroom have a status indicator light outside so people know whether or not it's safe to enter, even after the previous user is finished?
    Monday, June 18, 2007 11:30 PM
  •  Crash2975 wrote:

LOL!!

I can live with that if you can. Big Smile

Brian Mills wrote:
    SME wrote:

* Access WHS shares.

Would Microsoft Bathroom have a status indicator light outside so people know whether or not it's safe to enter, even after the previous user is finished?

Yes, with a traffic light system. Green for "safe to enter," yellow for "gas detected - proceed with caution" and red for when the user is surfing adult websites, like "office party 2009 pictures," on a WHS share. Wink

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:00 AM
  •  SME wrote:
    Crash2975 wrote:

LOL!!

I can live with that if you can.

Brian Mills wrote:
    SME wrote:

* Access WHS shares.

Yes, with a traffic light system. Green for "safe to enter," yellow for "gas detected - proceed with caution" and red for when the user is surfing adult websites, like "office party 2009 pictures," on a WHS share.

I figured red stood for "call haz-mat and evacuate the home"
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:10 AM
  •  Brian Mills wrote:
    SME wrote:
    Crash2975 wrote:

LOL!!

I can live with that if you can.

Brian Mills wrote:
    SME wrote:

* Access WHS shares.

Yes, with a traffic light system. Green for "safe to enter," yellow for "gas detected - proceed with caution" and red for when the user is surfing adult websites, like "office party 2009 pictures," on a WHS share.

I figured red stood for "call haz-mat and evacuate the home"

That depends on whether or not the user is present, either way, DON'T GO IN! Big Smile

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:14 AM