Why include all columns in tombstone tables? RRS feed

• Question

• Why do the demos from the synchronizer blog add all columns to the tombstone tables? Wouldn't it be enough to add the ID, creation date and update date columns?
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 11:23 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Sunday, February 4, 2007 6:54 PM

Answers

•  

Few reasons:

1.  In some scenarios you might want to keep a record of the deleted rows for further processing (auditing). 
    2.  In update-delete conflict handling, you might want to present the updated row received from the client and the deleted row from the server to the user, presenting full info of the deleted row is desired in some cases. (future demo)
    3. To show flexibility, you don't have to store the columns needed for sync only, your solution can even add new columns.

I should have added a comment on this in demo.sql to avoid confusing people, though.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 8:21 PM

All replies

•  

You are right. You don't have to include all the columns in the tombstone table. The primary key and the metadata columns are the minimum you need to get the scenario working.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 7:28 PM
  • Ok, thanks.

If these are the minimum columns, for which reason does the demo add all columns to the tombstone table?

Sunday, February 4, 2007 8:03 PM
  •  

Few reasons:

1.  In some scenarios you might want to keep a record of the deleted rows for further processing (auditing). 
    2.  In update-delete conflict handling, you might want to present the updated row received from the client and the deleted row from the server to the user, presenting full info of the deleted row is desired in some cases. (future demo)
    3. To show flexibility, you don't have to store the columns needed for sync only, your solution can even add new columns.

I should have added a comment on this in demo.sql to avoid confusing people, though.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Thank you.

I'm currently working on a sync services presentation for a .NET user group meeting tomorrow, so I try to understand everything in the demo.

Sunday, February 4, 2007 8:44 PM