none
USB Ports on 470/475 485/487 RRS feed

• Question

• What's the official word on plugging anything into the USB ports? Are they restricted to just storage  devices?  What else can be plugged into them?  A printer?  A print server? An iPod?  

Thanks.   
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 1:08 AM

All replies

• JSHollis said:

What's the official word on plugging anything into the USB ports? Are they restricted to just storage  devices?  What else can be plugged into them?  A printer?  A print server? An iPod?  

Thanks.   

You should contact HP and ask them.  After all, it's their product.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Only devices which would make sense when plugged in to a headless device with no supported way to add supporting software should be connected to your server. That would let out the three devices you named, all of which will require you to install drivers on the server.

Other devices will typically not break anything, but you will have to figure out how to get the drivers installed. In the case of printers, don't use a cheap consumer printer. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence here in the forums to show that they are likely to be problematic when shared from your server. And forget about the Ipod; it's a consumer device designed to interact with a specific piece of software. That software has no place on a machine (your server) that users will not log in to interactively.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 12:32 PM
  • There are a few devices that work well with a Home Server, but as has been stated before, they should be able to run mostly headless. The Home Server OS has support for most any device that works with Server 2k3, but it is generally not a good idea. For example, one of the most functional USB devices I have on my Home Server is a USB cable leading to my uninterruptable power supply. You can configure the Home Server to shut down if power drops below a specified level, helping to lessen the threat of data loss.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 12:48 PM
  • Jon Aumann said:

There are a few devices that work well with a Home Server, but as has been stated before, they should be able to run mostly headless. The Home Server OS has support for most any device that works with Server 2k3, but it is generally not a good idea. For example, one of the most functional USB devices I have on my Home Server is a USB cable leading to my uninterruptable power supply. You can configure the Home Server to shut down if power drops below a specified level, helping to lessen the threat of data loss.

One thing to beware of when connecting a UPS is that some UPS units can cause issues Microsoft doesn't recommend connecting a UPS to your server. I do recommend it, but I recommend you not install the software you got with it unless your UPS won't work with the built in UPS service in Windows. My server is configured to shut down at 75% remaining power; it sends a couple of other shutdown commands at 80%. I don't want the UPS to let me ride out short power outages, I just want it to provide a graceful shutdown. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 20, 2009 2:59 PM