File Corruption? RRS feed

• Question

• I setup an FTP server for my Photo galleries and I noticed that last night there was a rather large transfer and some images came over chopped in half or didn't come over at all.

I was wondering what would cause this corruption like this client or server.

My current setup is isolated FTP setup with virtual directories to the the d:\shares\photos\myusera_pictures

Everything from the sruface looks fine and I can't verify how they other then they used CuteFTP.

Is it possible that this is one of the dreaded programs that causes data corruption or is this something else.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jon
    Friday, December 28, 2007 11:26 AM

All replies

• Pictures are not affected by the issues that those programs are experiencing. However, you shouldn't be directly accessing the share, it should always be via the UNC path so that DE handles it properly.

Particularly if there was a large transfer and WHS was busy, there could be an issue.

For purposes of getting to the bottom of this, you could try pointing it to a drive outside the pool, or to a specific folder on the C: drive (bearing in mind that there is only a little spare room here, so this is just for test purposes).

Friday, December 28, 2007 2:32 PM
  • Data corruption can have many causes. If it's only FTP problem and you are NOT running beta version of WHS (and have november updates installed) some possible things to try are:

use another router

use latest router firmware

check router, server and client max mtu setting (in general 1492 should be OK)

max transmit size should preferably be similar to max mtu

use up to date nic / ide / sata drivers

set server nic to fixed speed (100BaseTX Full Duplex)

network / hdd cabling

if possible do not use passive transfers

use default memory settings (BIOS)

If you're running beta version of WHS or did not install november updates this may be ADS data corruption issue: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943393/

EDIT: @Crash2975; If you copy to D:\shares\someshare files will be handled properly by de migrator AFAIK, certainly if  the share was defined in WHS console.

EDIT: Crash2975 and Ken (post below) are right, de migrator will not handle these files properly

Friday, December 28, 2007 2:36 PM
  • I am running EX470 Media Smart server with all updates.

I am using a virtual directory that points to d:\shares\photos\somedir

Are you saying that my vd should point to \\myserver\photos\somedir?

I can change these very easily but I can't see why copying a file to d:\shares\photos

Should be any different then \\myserver\photos\

Should really not matter.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 2:46 PM
  • So does this mean that if you make a IIS based website that you cannot reference a directory via d:\shares\photos

For example I have installed mysql & php on this box and come conf.php might require picture_dir="d:/shares/photos/";

Is this now a big no no?

If so then I must say WHS is worthless to me at this point. the out of the box system setup is just not flexible enough for me.

I have setup multiple photo galleries for my family and they should be able to store files without worrying about corruption.

Friday, December 28, 2007 2:49 PM
  • Jon, everywhere you look in the forums, you will see people (sometimes Microsoft, often not) saying that you should never access the network shares through D:. There are many reports of people who have done so (usually to copy files from an external drive into the storage pool) filling up their system drive with files that Drive Extender won't move.

So I'd have to say that it's "a big no no." Instead, you should use \\server\photos.

As for flexibility, Microsoft has never said that Windows Home Server is as flexible as e.g. Windows Server 2003. It really can't be, since it has a bunch of ease-of-use features bolted on.

The file corruption issue is separate from flexibility. Strictly speaking, there's no reason FTP should corrupt a file. When it does, it's normally a network or drive issue, neither of which is related to Windows Home Server.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:16 PM
  •  JonTheTech wrote:
    So does this mean that if you make a IIS based website that you cannot reference a directory via d:\shares\photos

For example I have installed mysql & php on this box and come conf.php might require picture_dir="d:/shares/photos/";

Is this now a big no no?

AFAIK you can use UNC paths in PHP

JonTheTech wrote:
    If so then I must say WHS is worthless to me at this point. the out of the box system setup is just not flexible enough for me.

I have setup multiple photo galleries for my family and they should be able to store files without worrying about corruption.

MS has recently acknowledged another data corruption issue (other then ADS problem): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/946676/en-us?spid=12624. Possibly this one is also bugging you. If so they are working on it. Other then that, as I have stated before there may be loads of different causes for data corruption. You may need to dive into this a bit more before blaming WHS.

In addition I would advise you to file a bug report on WHS connect pages https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/Feedback

Saturday, December 29, 2007 4:55 AM
  • JonTheTech,

Thanks for reporting this issue., Can you please contact whsforum@microsoft.com so we can further investigate the issue you are seeing?

Thanks,

Mark

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 10:03 PM