MSA BusProd - Email Functions:Generate CRM Hyperlink - not getting email RRS feed

• Question

• I have registered this tool on various other organizations on the dev server w/o a problem. I thought that I had to register msa bud prod for new org but system indicates that it is already registered on dev server. When I create a workflow, I can choose the email function but I am not getting notified when I publish the workflow. any ideas as to why i would be having this prob? Maybe the url?

any help would be appreciated.

dml

Apps
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 1:53 PM

Answers

• ok, I will try my best to explain this..

you wanted to put hyperlink (appointment) in task description, correct?

you tried "MSA BusProd - Email Functions:Generate Generic Hyperlink" but it does not work becuase this function is for email and not for task.

now I suggested create URL field on task called "Appointment link" and put this on task form.

Now Workflow will use method called Record ID (GUID).

Record ID (GUID) method will give Id of the record the workflow is running against., so appointment id in our case., Record ID (GUID) method  does not need any input perameter.

Now in workflow ..you can create task and thet field "Appointment link" should be pouplated as mentioned below..

Appointment link = URL + GUID

URL - your CRM URL (for e.g. http://corp-dev/orgname/activities/appointment/edit.aspx?Id=<<RETURN RECORD GUID>>&pType=10026)

GUID - ID of the record record return form Record ID (GUID) method

so your appointment link should look as below, where 10C890F6-2D4A-DE11-87C4-00237DA4791C guid of your appointment record.

Appointment link = http://corp-dev/orgname/activities/appointment/edit.aspx?id={10C890F6-2D4A-DE11-87C4-00237DA4791C}

Now when customer opens task form he/she can view this link and access the related appointments..

Hope this helps..

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter
    • Marked as answer by Bernardina Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This custom workflow action will just return the hypelink value in the workflow editor. you need to use this return value in email and put this return value in your send email step and then it will start working..

also check out the video that comes with this accelerator and this will show you how it works..

MayankP My Blog My twitter
    Friday, August 27, 2010 9:31 AM
  • Hi, Mayank

I did put the hyperlink in the send email step (I have previously used this tool and it works great for two other orgs). I am not even receiving even the email notification to look at the link. I can't figure out why I am not even getting email (I specfically put MY name in the email to field)

Apps
    Friday, August 27, 2010 11:52 AM
  • who is sender for the email? if it is you and them make sure your outlook allows CRM to send emails..
    MayankP My Blog My twitter
    Friday, August 27, 2010 1:49 PM
  • I figured out why I wasn't getting notifed. I had to reconfigure to new organization (My CRM Configuration Wizard showed one of the other orgs).

Then I received email notification

However, I am trying to do something that is causing another problem. The workflow has these steps:

1) If a Signed Date is populated in the ProForma entity

2) Create a new Client record (another related entity)

3) Send the CRM hyperlink to this new record to the owner.

Do I need to create a child workflow to get the Client record created? Do you know? Or how best can I do this workflow?

Thanks for your immediate response. I really appreciate it.

Apps
    Friday, August 27, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Hi, Mayan

I have a question about this tool...

I am trying to create a workflow that creates an Appointment hyperlink, then creates Task and includes hyperlink in body copy.

Unfortunatley, as I am testing this, when I get the task with the hyperlink in the body, the user sees the whole http line (I have dummied up the http path for this posting):

<a href="http://corp-dev/orgname/activities/appointment/edit.aspx?id=1233459id9elsisl">Click here for appointment</a>

whereas it should only show the Click here for appointment line, right?

The url that I put in the MSA BusProd - Email Functions:Generate Generic Hyperlink line reads: 

http://corp-dev/orgname/activities/appointment/edit.aspx?Id={0}&pType=10026&pName={1} with 2 parameters listed. Is this correct?

thanks

Apps
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:39 PM
  • You seems to have set up perameter correctlt..

I guess user is viewing full link because his/her emails is marked to display as Text (and not HTML).

is this heppenging for all the users or just one user?

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Just tested with two users, Same results
    Apps
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Ok, you should have Custom step input properties for MSA BusProd - Email Functions:Generate Generic Hyperlink set as below

url ---> http://corp-dev/orgname/activities/appointment/edit.aspx?Id={0}&pType=10026&pName={1}

Param 1 : value for {0}

Param 2 : value for {1}

urlText : Click here for appointment

can you please confirm you set the details as specified above?

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:28 AM
  • I will confirm and post
    Apps
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Confirmed...that is exactly what I have for my Custom step input properties .

This is what I see in the body when I test it and open the Task under my Activities.

<a href="http://corp-crmdev/orgname/activities/appointment/edit.aspx?Id=ZZZZTEST+FACILITY+-+EM&pType=10026&pName=ZZZZTEST+FACILITY+-+EM">Click here to Appointment Hyperlink</a>

Apps
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:22 PM
  • Ok, are you putting this value in Task ? well task description field in text field so it can not take HTML text.

This custom step is for Email activity only, see name of function is "MSA BusProd - Email Functions:Generate Generic Hyperlink"

So try putting in email and see if this works..

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Yes. That is what I am doing...putting it in a task. That is the problem. So, there is no way to put a hyperlink in a task to the appointment.
    Apps
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 3:56 PM
  • well, you can put (or create) URL field on task and then update that specific URL field, this way you can get around this problem.
    MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 4:07 PM
  • OK. Let's make sure that I did this correctly.

I added a nvarchar attribute url type of field on task entity.

In the workflow, I created a task and for the URL field, I put {ReturnURL(Generate Generic hyperlink)}.

Is that right?

Thanks

Apps
    Monday, February 21, 2011 4:29 PM
  • Well, Generate Generic hyperlink function might not work corretly for task.

try using Return record id function and then in your URL field..put following value..

http://corp-dev/orgname/activities/appointment/edit.aspx?Id=<<RETURN RECORD GUID>>&pType=10026

hope this helps..

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:03 AM
  • Is this what you have done before...not used generate generic hyperlink for this purpose? thanks

Apps
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:24 PM
  • How do I use Return record ID function?
    Apps
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Please help me understand what I am trying to do here. Since I am trying to create a workflow that creates an Appointment hyperlink, then creates Task and includes appt hyperlink in body of the task....I am still unclear as to why I would create an url field on task and then update that specific URL field with appointment path using the Record ID (GUID). I guess one of the problems I am encountering that is confusing is the fact that when I create the step to return record ID and click on Set Properties, I get a blank view - no dynamic values are available to add.

Apps
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:35 PM
  • ok, I will try my best to explain this..

you wanted to put hyperlink (appointment) in task description, correct?

you tried "MSA BusProd - Email Functions:Generate Generic Hyperlink" but it does not work becuase this function is for email and not for task.

now I suggested create URL field on task called "Appointment link" and put this on task form.

Now Workflow will use method called Record ID (GUID).

Record ID (GUID) method will give Id of the record the workflow is running against., so appointment id in our case., Record ID (GUID) method  does not need any input perameter.

Now in workflow ..you can create task and thet field "Appointment link" should be pouplated as mentioned below..

Appointment link = URL + GUID

URL - your CRM URL (for e.g. http://corp-dev/orgname/activities/appointment/edit.aspx?Id=<<RETURN RECORD GUID>>&pType=10026)

GUID - ID of the record record return form Record ID (GUID) method

so your appointment link should look as below, where 10C890F6-2D4A-DE11-87C4-00237DA4791C guid of your appointment record.

Appointment link = http://corp-dev/orgname/activities/appointment/edit.aspx?id={10C890F6-2D4A-DE11-87C4-00237DA4791C}

Now when customer opens task form he/she can view this link and access the related appointments..

Hope this helps..

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter
    • Marked as answer by Bernardina Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Wow, Mayank...that was perfect for me. You thoroughly explained exactly what helped me visualize this better. Thank you for all of your effort.

Apps
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:18 PM
  • you are welcome!!

Can I please ask you to mark relevant thread as answer so if some one else have same problem, he or she can check the answer and implement that to resolve his/her issue.

MayankP
    My Blog
    Follow Me on Twitter
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Hi, Mayan

Got another part to this puzzle.

Now the customer wants the workflow to perform as above but have it start when a field from a customized entity, Contracts, is checked. I figured the most logical thing to do would be to create a child workflow based on Appointment; get Record ID; put in Task (all in child workflow) then call it after the If statement. However, that is not working. When i click on start child workflow, I don't see the child workflow in the related entities list. Any ideas as to how to do this?

thanks

Apps
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:28 PM