Supported versions, live release, etc related questions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working on a Smart Client application using .NET 2.0, SQL CE 3.1, and SQL Server 2005.  The sync technology I'm using is merge replication, but as is specified on several sites related to the new Synchronization Services, having so little control over the process is frustrating at times.

My application is a new project and thus is still in development\beta.  I suspect it will be at least six months before we attempt to put it in a customer's hands.  My intent is to use .NET 2.0 for the initial release.

I've been keeping up with progress of Sync Services for a few months now, but have not downloaded any of the CTP bits.  Before I do that, I have a few questions that may determine whether or not I should just stick with merge replication or go ahead and try out sync services.

1.  I've seen nothing that says that Sync Services requires Orcas now or will require it in the future.  Is this correct?  If so, will there be any difference in the features that are available with Orcas vs what is available with Visual Studio 2005?

2.  Is their a timeline of the release of Sync Services?

Thanks for any insight that anyone can give.

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 10:58 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Daniel,

Quick answers to your questions:

1- Sync Services runtime does not require Orcas and won't require Orcas in the future. There won't be any differences from the bits that ship in Orcas and the standalone package.  The designer in Orcas might have support for sync services scenarios though.

2- The plan is to ship on the same schedule as Orcas

Thanks

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

1- Sync Services runtime does not require Orcas and won't require Orcas in the future. There won't be any differences from the bits that ship in Orcas and the standalone package.  The designer in Orcas might have support for sync services scenarios though.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:36 PM
  •  Rafik Robeal wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Thanks

I have installed both version 3.1 and 3.5 of sync designer (SQLce runtime) but the sync designer (local datebase cache) still does not show up in VS 2005 as an installed template. Could you give me some instructions on how to correct this, please? My VS 2005 installation includes smart device development support. Or, is it possible to run the designer without having its template show up in VS 2005? Thanks, Henk.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 1:01 AM