Universal Remote Control PSXLink and One CARE Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a Universal Remote Control PSX-1 (this is an iPod dock which syncs with iTunes across the network). I can use the dock fully when OneCare firewall is disabled. However, when OneCare firewall is enabled it will not connect to the Dock and the iPod.

I have confirmed that the program is in the list of allowed programs in the firewall Advanced settings tab..

File sharing is on without passwords.

PSXLink is the program Universal Remote created to bridge the gap between the Dock, Windows and iTunes. When selected to connect to the iPod in the dock will connect the iPod and automatically open iTunes to start the sync process (without having the iPod connected to the computer via USB - only ethernet). This entire process works perfectly when the OneCare firewall is disabled.

What additional steps can I take to get OneCare to allow this program?

Thanks.

• Edited by tonydutt1 Friday, October 2, 2009 8:53 PM updated
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:04 PM

Answers

• I can't fins any specific information about this program and what settings might need to be changed in the OneCare firewall to allow it to work. If Aiscer's reply above doesn't help, I recommend trying the following first:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Or contact support for the PSXLink program to see if they have any additional information to help you.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 11:58 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    I have a Universal Remote Control PSX-1 (this is an iPod dock which syncs with iTunes across the network). I can use the dock fully when OneCare firewall is disabled. However, when OneCare firewall is enabled it will not connect to the Dock and the iPod.

I have confirmed that the program is in the list of allowed programs in the firewall Advanced settings tab..

File sharing is on without passwords.

PSXLink is the program Universal Remote created to bridge the gap between the Dock, Windows and iTunes. When selected to connect to the iPod in the dock will connect the iPod and automatically open iTunes to start the sync process (without having the iPod connected to the computer via USB - only ethernet). This entire process works perfectly when the OneCare firewall is disabled.

What additional steps can I take to get OneCare to allow this program?

Thanks.

See if this will work. Go to Change Settings, under Firewall should be Advanced Settings, in the Ports and Protocols tab put a check under ActiveSync. If that does not work, see if you can Restore the Default settings of the OneCare Firewall then fire up the sync. See if this would initialize a prompt from the OneCare Firewall so that you can unblock any applications. If this method still does not work, you may need to find the Programs folder of your Universal Remote Control PSX-1 and manually add all of its .EXEs in the Firewall.
    Crimson Spectrum at http://aiscer.spaces.live.com
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 3:06 AM
  • I can't fins any specific information about this program and what settings might need to be changed in the OneCare firewall to allow it to work. If Aiscer's reply above doesn't help, I recommend trying the following first:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90
    Or contact support for the PSXLink program to see if they have any additional information to help you.
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 11:58 PM
  • Thanks folks.

I could never get anything to work with One Care (I am a pretty tech savvy guy). I switched to Windows (Vista) Firewall and Micrsoft's new security software. With no changes to the firewall PSKLink worked and my iPod's sync across the network.

Monday, October 5, 2009 10:50 AM
  • That's another solution. I really like Microsoft Security Essentials and would switch all of my PCs except that I'm still answering questions on OneCare. ;-) All OneCare users will be receiving guidance about switching as their subscriptions end, so you are basically ahead of the game.
    -steve
    Monday, October 5, 2009 11:12 AM