Vista has validated itself without my permission. RRS feed

• Question

• I accidentally left the validate Windows box ticked when I installed my recent Home Premium OEM installation.
    When the system booted I went to the Activate Windows option and selected Notify Me Before Validation option (or something like that) thinking it would do as it was told.

Vista has just informed me that it has validated itself, however tomorrow I'm returning the motherboard to the supplier and replacing it with a different model (there fault not mine)

Am I going to have problems re-activating Vista at the end of the week when I receive the replacement motherboard and re-install Vista?
    Saturday, October 13, 2007 5:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

You should be fine from a technical and a licensing point of view.

Sorry for the wait,

Darin

Thursday, October 25, 2007 8:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Rod,

From a technical point of view, you should have no problems re-activating windows after replacing the motherboard. (you may need to Activate by Phone (and explain the situation to the Activation Rep.), instead of Activating over the Internet, however)

From a Licensing point of view, however, this is more complicated. For instance, if you had bought the computer with Windows pre-installed and then changed out the motherboard yourself, then you would not be licensed to run the same windows on the computer. This is because the Motherboard is regarded as the computer, so changing out the motherboard, in essence, creates a "new" computer and OEM windows are directly tied to the computer they are pre-installed on. The only exception to this rule is if the Manufacturer of the computer did the replacement of the motherboard. In that case the old Windows is still licensed to run on the "new" resulting computer.

But in your situation, you (I assume) built the computer and then installed the OEM Windows (yourself) and then you replaced the motherboard. Are you licensed to run the old Windows on this "new" computer? I do not know, but I have sent a message to our licensing experts and they should be able to provide an answer.  I will post again once I hear back from them.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

p.s. On a side note, I want to thank you for the question. I'm building another computer myself, and even though I will probably buy a retail version of Windows (which is licenced to be able to be moved to another computer, as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time), I am interested in the licensing for OEM in case I use that, instead of Retail.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:49 PM
  • Hi Rob,

You should be fine from a technical and a licensing point of view.

Sorry for the wait,

Darin

Thursday, October 25, 2007 8:21 PM