PP3 and Windows 7 Power Settings RRS feed

• Question

• The release documentation for PP3 says it its possible to have WHS wake up a W7 computer do the automatic backup and then put it back to Sleep after the backup finishes.  I can't find any settings that let me do this.  A little help is needed.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:18 PM

Answers

• That's actually pretty much the same text they've used since the product was released. It's just that there was a change in Windows 7 which prevented the previous method from putting the home computer back to sleep. An adjustment was made in Power Pack 3 which allows that to work (assuming proper configuration) on Windows 7.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Ken429 Friday, December 11, 2009 11:13 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:03 PM

All replies

• Right click the connector icon in the system tray, select "Wake this computer for backup" (if I recall correctly, it will be pretty obvious even if I don't have the phrasing correct). This is documented somewhere in the console help files.

This depends on power saving options being properly set in the OS, of course. For more information about that, the Windows help files are actually not bad...
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:30 PM
  • I know how to tell WHS to wake up computer and do an automatic backup!  I'm asking how to tell WHS or the W7 system to go back to sleep immediately after the backup has completed.  That's what the PP3 documentation leads me to believe is possible.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:23 PM
  • It wasn't clear what exactly you were asking, sorry.

There's no specific Windows Home Server setting for this. If your computer is in a power saving state, though, and configured to wake for backup, it should wake up, queue up for backup, then when the backup finishes it should go back to sleep. This is dependent on the computer in question being properly configured, though, and it's also dependent on nothing else interfering. For example, a sensitive mouse can prevent a computer from going back to sleep, as it may "see" a small amount of movement almost all the time. Also, programs installed on your computer may be able to block the computer from automatically re-entering the power saving state it was previously in.

There are some tools in Windows 7 (and Vista, to a lesser extent) that may help track down power sleep problems like this. The primary one is the powercfg command; you can type powercfg -? at any command prompt for more information.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:26 AM
  • ·      Windows 7 power settings

You can configure your computer running Windows 7 to wake up at a scheduled backup time and then go back to sleep after the backup finishes.

Why would the WHS team put this in the PP3 documentation?!  WHS has always had the ability to wake up a computer and then let it go back to sleep based on the power settings - in my case it is 3 hours because during the day I use it to day trade and don't want it shutting down the trading server.  I read this (the PP3 documentation) to mean that there was some new capability that allowed the computer to go back to the sleep state right after the backup completed.  I have WHS set up to backup the computers during the night so it seemed like a good thing to put them back to sleep automatically after the backup was completed.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 5:02 PM
  • That's actually pretty much the same text they've used since the product was released. It's just that there was a change in Windows 7 which prevented the previous method from putting the home computer back to sleep. An adjustment was made in Power Pack 3 which allows that to work (assuming proper configuration) on Windows 7.
    • Marked as answer by Ken429 Friday, December 11, 2009 11:13 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 6:03 PM