Windows Genuine Advantage Notification RRS feed

• Question

• I have an IBM Thinkpad T42 which I am the first and only user of, I had purchased the machine on behalf of my old company in Dec 2004.  When I left the old company in June 2006, I had been given the computer as a gift by my old boss.

The computer came installed with Windows XP Professional edition, and up till last Thursday was working completely fine - all the servicing, etc was done by the IT support team at my old company and he used to track all the updates etc.  Windows updates was active, and I had kept getting updates and Installed IE7, etc.

Then last Thursday, I decided to install some freeware utility which my current employer (an NGO) required us to use for sending out newsletters - this software has a conflict with IE7, and as a result, I tried to uninstall Internet Explorer, only to find that my system crashed as a result.  So over the weekend, an IT guy from my friends company came over to help me backup all my data and restore the IBM factory setup.  This took ages as I had 12GB of data on the system.  So finally by Saturday evening everything seemed to be back on track and I was working fine - then when the distaster started happenning - I am working out of a place with very slow internet, and Windows started to download updates - and yesterday it finally installed 63 updates and hotfixes etc. 

When I restarted my computer this morning after the updates - the problem erupted - the computer was very slow to start, and when it got into Windows it was working fine for a few minutes and then it kept giving me a "Write Delay Error" message with something to do with "/$Dir" and "/$Msft" and basically froze.  It then went and said that the profile was corrupt and it started with a fresh windows screen each time and wouldn't close down properly - many applications wouldn't work.

I had a presentation to do today and I had to take it to a repair shop to see what they could do to fix it - they said that it had to do with SP2 and that I only had SP1, so as I needed the computer in a hurry - they installed Windows XP Professional with SP2 from a CD and couldn't use the code at the bottom of my computer.

Now when I start my computer the Windows Genuine Advantage notification says that I have
    "You may be a victim of counterfiting"  now my work is pretty intense and I have tonnes to do this week - so if I run the software it is asked me to download for Mozilla - I don't want to be in a situation where I screw up my whole system and be stuck till this Saturday until my friends IT guy can come to me again, and re-install the IBM Factory settings together with SP2 (which he has a on a seperate CD)

I would really appreciate if someone from this board can help me with a solution - sorry for the long message - but I wanted to give the background to my problem so that it's clear.

Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 8:39 PM

Answers

• Maxi,

You appear to have a few dynmanics occurring. At first glance I was about to steer you to another forum dealing with general XP OS concerns. The concern I have at this point is how did the repair shop install XP SP  2 and not use the product code you provided? What I have seen happen is a customer will take their system to a store, independent person or friend.  Customer will supply their respective restore media but repair tech uses their own software and product code key.  In turn the customer can be left with a computer failing WGA because of a blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) or other concerns. Do you have the original reinstallation recovery CD's? If not I recommend you contact IBM customer service and request a set be sent to you.  Also you can order SP 2 for XP.  This will prevent you from having to download from a slow connection.  Also it appears there may be a problem with how the IT person repaired the laptop with their installation process. Please return to the store and explain what happened. They didnt use the proper product key and now it appears you are receiving a non genuine status.  Please post back and keep us informed.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager 

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:07 PM
  • Maxi Delhi,

Please use the Product Key Updater utility http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx along with the XP Pro Product Key on your Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) to see if you can "genuine-ize" your nongenuine installation of XP Pro.

Post back and tell us if you were successful or not

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:49 AM

All replies

• Maxi,

You appear to have a few dynmanics occurring. At first glance I was about to steer you to another forum dealing with general XP OS concerns. The concern I have at this point is how did the repair shop install XP SP  2 and not use the product code you provided? What I have seen happen is a customer will take their system to a store, independent person or friend.  Customer will supply their respective restore media but repair tech uses their own software and product code key.  In turn the customer can be left with a computer failing WGA because of a blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) or other concerns. Do you have the original reinstallation recovery CD's? If not I recommend you contact IBM customer service and request a set be sent to you.  Also you can order SP 2 for XP.  This will prevent you from having to download from a slow connection.  Also it appears there may be a problem with how the IT person repaired the laptop with their installation process. Please return to the store and explain what happened. They didnt use the proper product key and now it appears you are receiving a non genuine status.  Please post back and keep us informed.

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager 

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 11:07 PM
  • Maxi Delhi,

Please use the Product Key Updater utility http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx along with the XP Pro Product Key on your Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) to see if you can "genuine-ize" your nongenuine installation of XP Pro.

Post back and tell us if you were successful or not

Thursday, May 31, 2007 1:49 AM