How To: Disable Hub/Remote Access? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Greetings:

I am using and have been mostly pleased with WOC (now v2 on XP2) since beta.

I do not want a hub computer.

I do not want remote desk top or any other remote access available on my computers.

Please tell me how to disable Hub/Remote access on my computers while maintaining WOC protection. 

After disallowing Remote Access in the firewall, it is repeatedly re-enabled upon restart.

I want all of my computers secure from remote access.

I do not use remote access under any circumstances.

Please also advise how to manage my subscription for each computer from the web.  I want to eliminate a computer from my list and have been unable to do so without creating a hub computer.  This hub computer/remote access problem is new and I will gladly revert back to the old version of WOC to eliminate the security hazards of remote access if instructions are provided.

If any of my requests for solutions cannot be answered, please reply with instructions to forward my requests to the appropriate departments for resolution. 

Thank you.

DA

Friday, February 15, 2008 11:18 PM

Answers

• If you have disabled remote access on the properties for the computer, the setting in the firewall that shows it available is meaningless.

Leave the default setting on the firewall advanced settings, and nobody can remotely connect to your PC ever unless you allow it.

There is no web equivalent of the list of PCs you see in a hub. If you don't make a hub, you won't see the ghost entries from PCs that are reinstalled or no longer active. You do not need to remove them. Your license allows up to 3 *active* copies of OneCare running. If it isn't connecting to the OneCare servers to provide a heartbeat and receive updates, it isn't active.

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:31 AM

All replies

• If you have disabled remote access on the properties for the computer, the setting in the firewall that shows it available is meaningless.

Leave the default setting on the firewall advanced settings, and nobody can remotely connect to your PC ever unless you allow it.

There is no web equivalent of the list of PCs you see in a hub. If you don't make a hub, you won't see the ghost entries from PCs that are reinstalled or no longer active. You do not need to remove them. Your license allows up to 3 *active* copies of OneCare running. If it isn't connecting to the OneCare servers to provide a heartbeat and receive updates, it isn't active.

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:31 AM
  • Thanks again, Steve.

That also answered the unasked question about ICMP.

Best regards,

DA

Monday, February 18, 2008 12:06 AM
  • You're welcome, DA. ICMP is blocked by default, so the PC won't respond to pings.

-steve

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:41 AM