Once Installed as a Compute Node, can't install as Head node any more, even after uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

I met this problem on one of my compute node. I uninstalled all the components from the control panel -> Programs and Features. Then I will install this computer as a Head node other than a compute node as it was installed as before. Out of expectation, the Head Node installation selection was greyed out in the installer.

I suspect this is a database issue, the left over data the previous installation left, or registration. May I get assistance with this? How to remove the leftover data so I can start a fresh new install?

Thanks! Great weekend.

Feng Wang
    Friday, August 5, 2011 8:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Feng,

As far as I know, node roles do not rely on network broadcast/multicast.

Which OS do you have on this machine? If it is not a 64-bit OS, or if it's not a Windows Server 2008/2008 R2, installing as Headnode will not be possible.

Michael

• Marked as answer by 51gaoxing Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:08 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Hi Feng,

If your HPC version is v3 or newer, you need Windows Server 2008 R2

If you have HPC v2sp2 or earlier, you need Windows Server 2008, or 2008 R2.

Which version of HPC Pack are you using?

Friday, August 19, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Hi Feng,

You are using v3, please switch your OS to Windows Server 2008 R2 in order to install as head node.

• Marked as answer by 51gaoxing Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:07 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Feng,

I would suggest trying to delete the reigistry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HPC .

And if this doesn't work, uninstall any SQL express or SQL server in your "control panel -> Programs and Features"

Michael

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 12:32 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Thanks for taking your time replying my post. I checked the registry keys and found that they are atcually deleted by the uninstall. I then tried the re-intall of the SQLExpress on the compute node machine and it did not work out for me.

I started to think that since the HPC database is located on the headnode, maybe the installer was doing a broadcasting/multicasting as a discovery process, and obtained its (old) role from the head node already before we enter the page for selection. Of course, this is just my pure guess, since I have no knowledge regarding the HPC installer internal mechanism. Do you have any further opinion on this?

Thanks in advance.

Feng 

Feng Wang
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Hi Feng,

As far as I know, node roles do not rely on network broadcast/multicast.

Which OS do you have on this machine? If it is not a 64-bit OS, or if it's not a Windows Server 2008/2008 R2, installing as Headnode will not be possible.

Michael

Friday, August 19, 2011 12:18 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I checked the OS system with the command "winver" on the compute node, and it is Windows Server 2008 Standard 64-bit, so it should be fine for this concern. It is really confusing, isn't it?

Feng Wang
    Friday, August 19, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Hi Feng,

If your HPC version is v3 or newer, you need Windows Server 2008 R2

If you have HPC v2sp2 or earlier, you need Windows Server 2008, or 2008 R2.

Which version of HPC Pack are you using?

Friday, August 19, 2011 3:12 PM
  • Hi Michael,

The following link is the version I used for the installation.

Please understand that, I actually don't know which version this is, since it is the newest I could find, I guess it should be v3. If you could confirm this, then this definitely answers the question. Thank you.

Feng Wang
    Friday, August 19, 2011 3:42 PM
  • Hi Feng,

You are using v3, please switch your OS to Windows Server 2008 R2 in order to install as head node.

• Marked as answer by 51gaoxing Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:07 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Sure! Thx!
    Feng Wang
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:08 PM