Accesssing Former One Care backups RRS feed

• Question

• I've made the switch from One Care to MSE. Is there a way that I can continue to use, or add to, the old One Care backups currently residing on my external drive...?? My old One Care circle was made up of three computers. One Care would backup only 'Changed' files. Is there a way for me to continue the same process...?? Windows backup wants to re-image my existing 'C' drives. There is not enough room on the 320gb external drive to accommodate. What am I to do...???
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:31 PM

Answers

• No, once your subscription ends, backup ceases to function. The Windows backup is different from the OneCare backups, so you need to start a new backup. If you don't have room on the drive for new backups, you can delete the old backups or obtain another drive. Personally, I'd simply format the drive and start over with the Windows backup (or 3rd party solution). it sounds like you are configuring Windows backup to do a full image backup, which is much more that OneCare did. You can configure Windows backup to behave similarly to OneCare's backup and select file types you wish to backup and types you wish to exclude instead of doing the full image backup. The benefit of the image backup is that you can recover the PC from that backup after replacing a hard drive by booting from the Windows DVD.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:02 PM

All replies

• No, once your subscription ends, backup ceases to function. The Windows backup is different from the OneCare backups, so you need to start a new backup. If you don't have room on the drive for new backups, you can delete the old backups or obtain another drive. Personally, I'd simply format the drive and start over with the Windows backup (or 3rd party solution). it sounds like you are configuring Windows backup to do a full image backup, which is much more that OneCare did. You can configure Windows backup to behave similarly to OneCare's backup and select file types you wish to backup and types you wish to exclude instead of doing the full image backup. The benefit of the image backup is that you can recover the PC from that backup after replacing a hard drive by booting from the Windows DVD.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 7:02 PM
  • This is terrible. Even after paying microsoft for years, now I have to find another solution. I would never use even a free product from microsoft. There is no telling when they will abandon their customers. I am wondering what it the best solution. Carbonite is great but they charge per PC. I will look for the "disk image" back up. May be that would work. Not sure how to do it.
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 5:58 PM
  • This is terrible. Even after paying microsoft for years, now I have to find another solution. I would never use even a free product from microsoft. There is no telling when they will abandon their customers. I am wondering what it the best solution. Carbonite is great but they charge per PC. I will look for the "disk image" back up. May be that would work. Not sure how to do it.

I recognize that it is a pain to have to switch, but you face the same uncertain future with any 3rd party subscription based product.

-steve

Monday, September 13, 2010 12:12 PM