none
Laptop to Desktop sync via USB wire RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone:
    I want to do a simple weekly sync of My Documents and all subfolders between my laptop and desktop - Both machines are running XP.  To do so I want to plug them together using a USB 2.0 wire for fast data transfer.  First I am having a hard time finding a cable with end A to end A (male on both ends) and also is Windows going to require a driver in order to recognize this wire?  Are there any other hardware or software issues I need to be aware of?
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Coball

I believe you have mistaken this forum for something else.  This forum is for SyncToy, a Microsoft product, used for file synchronization.

Are you planning to use SyncToy to synchronize the data between your two machines, but want to transfer your files through USB instead of a network connection? 

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Thank you for replying.  Yes, the intent is to use SyncToy to do the synchronization but I don't want to set up the laptop as part of the network.  I just simply want to plug a USB wire between the two computers whenever I want to do a sync.
    Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:49 AM
  • Sorry for that, but actually this is beyond SyncToy's capability.

Thanks,

Baoke

Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:59 AM