How to get WHS to see a NAS device? RRS feed

• Question

• I have all of my media, content, and data on my NAS box.  How do I get WHS to reference this device?

Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:09 PM

All replies

• WHS is designed to provide you with the same capabilities as a NAS (and many more, such as backup and access to your data from anywhere), so the answer to your question is really "You don't. You copy your content to WHS." WHS wants to manage that content for you, but only in it's own storage pool.

Many people have found that the fastest way to do the initial data loading is to log in to the WHS using remote desktop, access the shares on the NAS (or their home PC) and copy the data that way.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 10:37 PM
  • I understand that, but I currently have over a TB of data that I would want to share, and which I don't want to copy to my WHS server.  Isn't there a way for WHS to access those shares?
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 11:49 PM
  • Why does WHS need to access the data on your NAS?  All WHS does for shares it put a link on the client desktop.  Do it your self :) 

What would be cool is for WHS to backup your NAS !!!

Still......Grey

Friday, March 2, 2007 12:54 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    WHS is designed to provide you with the same capabilities as a NAS (and many more, such as backup and access to your data from anywhere), so the answer to your question is really "You don't....

...what if you want to add the NAS capacity to the WHS storage pool?  Is that not supported at this time?

cheers,
    Ben
    Friday, March 2, 2007 4:00 PM
  • If you want to add the NAS capacity to the WHS storage pool, you pull the drives out of the NAS and put them in the WHS, either internally or externally via USB 2.0, Firewire, or eSATA.

Warning, WHS will insist on formatting the drives before it adds them to the pool.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 5:36 PM
  • No but sounds like a decent suggestion.

Still......Grey

Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:06 AM
  • Much as I would like to, I just can not mark this an as "answer"
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:07 AM
  • This can't be the only way!
    Friday, March 9, 2007 4:48 PM
  •  ctboaz wrote:
    This can't be the only way!

I'm afraid that it probably is, if you want WHS to manage the storage that is currently installed in the NAS. It can only manage storage connected directly to WHS. There are some options for how to get the data currently on the NAS onto WHS, but none of them are pretty.

It's something that I hope Microsoft finds a decent solution for; it's an issue for my household as well. There are several suggestions on Connect about this issue; I suggest you look through them and see if any of them match your vision.
    Friday, March 9, 2007 6:16 PM