none
unable to access my backed up Money files, remembered password not stored RRS feed

• Question

• Old pc with Windows XP and Money 2002 installed, crashed. Like a sensible girl, I had money fully backed up on an external hard drive. Have loaded this onto new pc which all worked well but just need to enter password to open money. After eight years using money on almost daily basis with password "remembered", I now have no idea what it was (well, have tried all the most likely options but to no avail). When clicking the link "forgotten password" this takes me to.... nowhere. Website gone!!  Is there any way of retrieving this password from the microsoft archives?? It's impossible to get through to speak to/ email anyone at microsoft to ask!  Failing all else, can anyone tell me how to "hack" into my own money programme..??!! PLEASE!!!!

N. Fieldwick
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 11:23 AM

All replies

• Let's make sure we understand. You have installed Money 2002 onto your working computer. You are getting a password error when you try to File->Restore your *.mbf file.

Copy any *.mny and *.mbf that you have saved to other media while you are thinking of it. This is to avoid the effects of a crash on whatever your file is stored on now.

There are two major posiblities.

1. Your old  Money 2002 file really had a password, but you don't remember what it was.
    2. Your old Money file was actually created with a version newer than Money 2002, but Money 2002 does not understand that. It is giving a misleading error message. This could occur even if you had no password on the file. This is a very common occurance.

Now to distinguish the problem, one way would be to find your *.mny file, as opposed to your *.mbf backup file. With the *.mny file, you could use salv.exe to confirm the existance of a password. If you succeed in making a "repaired" version of your *.mny file with salv.exe, it means that you either had no password, or that you entered the correct password during the operation.

If your file is Money 2004 or newer and is from the US (and maybe Canada), you could install Money Plus Sunset and open your file. If the file is Money 2003, you might have to go thru an intermediate step. Installing Money Plus Sunset at the this point seems like the easier way to try first. You could do that onto a different computer if you like. The appearance of a *.m?? file (where ?? represents a 2-digit number) after attempted restore would clue us in to what the actual version of file was before conversion.

Now if you really had a password on your Money 2002 file, but you don't remember it, see http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html#Q28 except that I assume that the "Passport lost password tool" is no longer available. But for a conventional password, that referenced search could be useful.

• Edited by Cal LearnerModerator Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:50 PM Added that Sunset is for US files.
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Cal,

N. Fieldwick's use of the word "programme" in the last sentence of her posting makes me think she is using the international version of Money 2002.

Steve

Stephen J Cohen
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Cal,

N. Fieldwick's use of the word "programme" in the last sentence of her posting makes me think she is using the international version of Money 2002.

Steve

Stephen J Cohen

Oooooh... good point. If Nicky Fieldwick's file is from the US, then the Sunset versions are useful. If it is from Canada, I am not sure. Otherwise, I would expect the Sunset versions to give an "incompatible version" error message. I will modify my initial response too.

For those outside of North America and Japan, then other alternatives will need to be sought.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Sorry, didn't think to mention I'm in the UK, so you're probably correct about the version I've been using.....

Nicky

N. Fieldwick
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 10:29 AM
  • You will need a UK version of Microsoft Money that is as new or newer than that which created your file. Money 2005 was the last UK version, and that version has special requirements. I don't know how you are going to find what you need. Maybe somebody will have some information for you once you establish what you need.

Now here is what you can do to see if you have a real password problem, or if your file is newer than Money 2002: In your Money install folder, find salv.exe. Run that, and attempt to make a repaired version of your file. If you actually have a password on your file, salv.exe will ask for that. If salv.exe does not ask for a password, and the repair attempt succeeds, then you had no password; it is solely a version problem. You could just skip trying the Money 2002 version of salv.exe and go right to trying the Money 2006 version described below.

Now a special case could exist where your file was created with UK Money 2005 and you put a Live ID on your file. In that case, I don't know if the 2002 version of salv.exe will know how to deal with that. The 2006 version of salv.exe is available for now. See Download the M06-Repair.exe package now. (http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/3/d/a3da081d-333e-4c5b-8029-815a932e5b19/m06-repair.exe)  in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466 Note that this process does not actually result in the "install" of a program. You just run a downloaded program when you follow the directions.

The same salv.exe works on US, UK and international files.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:11 PM