Sync issues - Read Only RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had some problems syncing a visual studio project today, some of the files i updated were sync'ed to live desktop but would not get pushed back down to my local machine. There was no indication that the files had not been updated, the only way i could tell is because the work i had made ealier that day wasn't there. What i found what that live mesh will not sync the file to the pc if the Read Only flag is ticked in the file. now i didn't set this but i susspect it was updated by visual studio when i was working on the file and synced the state (VS saves the files when you run a build, the files are still open so i susspect the read only flag is true, if the files don't get updated again then the flag is not reset). the hardest part about this is i really have no idea if all the files are up to date and this is a must.
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 12:33 PM

All replies

• Thanks for sharing your observation, Nitro52.
    If file was open and in use on the source machine. It won't sync in that case.
    If the destination file is read-only, Live Mesh can't overwrite it, either, as far as I know, even if not in use.
    -steve
    ~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:08 PM
  • I kinda understand why it would not replicate, but for most users they wouldn't think to check if the file is readonly. It would me nice if there was a way to see why the file does not update
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Some sort of information in the Notifier would be good, I suspect.
    -steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:40 PM
  • Yeah something that lets you know exactly what files didn't aync and why would be very handy.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 1:03 PM
  • This is a big step back for Microsoft. Windows Live Sync and Foldershare could sync read-only files without a problem. Now I'm going to have to look elsewhere for a syncing utility. Hopefully MS will get their act together.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:59 PM