none
Which MB -- (MSI P45-NEO3-FR / MSI P43-NEO3-F) is suitable for WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• After read many threads about motherboard, I got an impression is the motherboard must have support drive for Windows 2003, unfortunately I can't find such info from neither MB manufacture website nor store like Newegg, and seems no where can find a support motherboard list for WHS.

So, pease help me on MB selection, MSI P45-NEO3-FR and MSI P43-NEO3-F are my target MB since they provide 8 SATA connections which will make future expansion much more easier and reliable than adding RAID control PCI card, my question is which one is suitable for WHS?

Thanks for kinly help!

G

Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:30 PM

Answers

• G,

Hi and welcome,

All motherboard manufacturers have download sections where they have their drivers available, so you can see if they have server 2003 ones.

You don't need motherboards with a Raid facility, it is not recommended by Microsoft, if you choose a board that has Raid support, ensure that you can by-pass it by having the drives seen as individual drives.

For your information, there is quite a lot of documentation either here, or here, which can give you the requirements. Also, a read through the hardware section of this forum has some very helpful threads, particularly this one.

Good luck,

Colin

Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:07 PM

All replies

• G,

Hi and welcome,

All motherboard manufacturers have download sections where they have their drivers available, so you can see if they have server 2003 ones.

You don't need motherboards with a Raid facility, it is not recommended by Microsoft, if you choose a board that has Raid support, ensure that you can by-pass it by having the drives seen as individual drives.

For your information, there is quite a lot of documentation either here, or here, which can give you the requirements. Also, a read through the hardware section of this forum has some very helpful threads, particularly this one.

Good luck,

Colin

Saturday, August 30, 2008 5:07 PM
  • While explicit Windows Server 2003 drivers are recommended, often the Windows XP drivers will work just fine. I have used plenty of motherboards where Win Server 2003-specific drivers are just not necessary, Windows detects and uses its own drivers automatically.

He was saying that he wanted 8 SATA ports without using another RAID contoller card, not that he was planning to actually configure a RAID system.

I see no real difference between the P45 and P43, except the P45 one includes the
    Intel ICH10R southbridge for RAID support. As RAID isn't necessary, go ahead and get the one with the best deal.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:36 AM
  • These boards should both be a good basis for your WHS.

On top, what other posters already have said here: If you have only Windows XP drivers for certain components and the installer says something about a not compatible Operating system, right click setup.exe (or the name of the installation file), select Properties and go to the Compatibility tab.

Tick the checkbox to Execute program in compatibility mode for ... and select Windows XP.

Apply this change and try to run the setup program again.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:02 AM
  • Guys, thanks for helpful comments.

Just get confirmation from local MSI retailer that P43 won't work perfectly for Win2003, issue might be can not run "PC Alert", any one what is PC Alert? thanks.

BTW, the RAID card I mentioned before didn't mean like to buil RAID, adding more SATA connection must have to use RAID card but without using RAID function, there isn't control card without RAID function.

Have a nice day!

G

Monday, September 1, 2008 2:22 AM