none
WHS critial error when Window 7 home computer is shutdown. RRS feed

• Question

• When any of my home computers running Windows 7 HP are shutdown this causes a critical error on the Home Server Console on the Windows Home Server (Power Pack 3). This indicate there is no active Firewall and  Anti-Virus. I have tried various settings in th action center with no joy.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:13 AM

All replies

• Are you sure you have Power Pack 3 installed? What versions are shown in the console, settings tab, resources view?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:30 AM
  • When any of my home computers running Windows 7 HP are shutdown this causes a critical error on the Home Server Console on the Windows Home Server (Power Pack 3). This indicate there is no active Firewall and  Anti-Virus. I have tried various settings in th action center with no joy.
    But it's fine while the client is on?  If so, I don't recall anyone else posting that before.  You should probably file a bug report on Connect.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:31 AM
  • I am running Power Pack 3 (Ver 6.0.2423.0) The 3 critical errors on WHS are 1. no spyware protetion 2. AV is out of date 3. Windows firewall is off. These errors occur when any laptop is shutdown. I have Kaspersky IS 2010(Ver 9.0.0.736) installed for windows 7. I have tried installing WHS connector first then the Kaspersky to no effect, the errors still occur
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:06 PM
  • I am running Power Pack 3 (Ver 6.0.2423.0) The 3 critical errors on WHS are 1. no spyware protetion 2. AV is out of date 3. Windows firewall is off. These errors occur when any laptop is shutdown. I have Kaspersky IS 2010(Ver 9.0.0.736) installed for windows 7. I have tried installing WHS connector first then the Kaspersky to no effect, the errors still occur

I get the same problem with my laptop running Win7.  When I do a SHUTDOWN on my laptop, all other computers get an alert saying "LAPTOP" has no antivirus etc...

Must have something to do with the antivirus I am using (avg) unloading at shutdown while windows still is "awake" enough to see no antivirus is now running and the WHS client has enough time to report back to WHS.  It's ANOYING !!  My home server is always critical when my laptop is shutdown.

I have noticed, if I hibernate my laptop instead of SHUTDOWN this problem does NOT happen
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:06 PM
  • Yep, I'm having the exact same problem.  When my Windows 7 Pro desktop shuts down, WHS sends a critical alert to the other connected computers in my home, complaining that there is outdated AV and security software on the Win7 machine.  This alert goes away once the Win7 machine is powered back up.  I have AVG 9.0 installed on the Win7 Desktop.  Does not seem to happen when an XP or Vista computer in the house shuts down.

WHS is a HP EX490 w/ PP3

This is quite the annoyance, especially if I'm turning the Win7 machine off for a period of time.  Other people in my house get alarmed that something is wrong with our home network.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:55 AM
  • Here is a Workaround:

Stop the WHS Connecter Service prior to shutting down your computer.

Open an elevated Command Window and type:

sc stop WHSConnector

The WHS Notification App will turn grey and you should able to shut down your computer without getting any warnings about your AV.

William Crawford
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:47 PM
  • This did not work for me.  WHS is still reporting that Anti-virus is out of date when the Windows 7 clients shut down.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 4:06 AM
  • This did not work for me.  WHS is still reporting that Anti-virus is out of date when the Windows 7 clients shut down.

Mine too, but that is because the service starts right back up when you stop it.
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Does setting the service to delayed start help?  I wonder if when that happens it is delayed in stopping or run first, if at all?
    --
    Friday, February 12, 2010 2:51 PM
  • It does not help.
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:44 AM
  • I have the same problem you all.
    I just installed Windows 7 on my new laptop. (I had no problem before xp) and BitDefender Internet Security 2010. and since the connector is red and tells me I have no anti-virus or firewall etc. ...
    is that Microsoft has solved this problem?

my system : laptop clevo x8100 with windows 7 ultimate bitdefender internet security 2010 and hp mediasmart server ex485 with bitdefender internet security 2009
    Monday, February 22, 2010 11:39 AM
  • This was suggested from another web site.
    "The local service named WSCSVC (Security Center) in Windows7 is set to Start up type “Automatic(delayed)”. This is changed from the default of type “Automatic” in Windows XP.

Following the suggestion, I stopped the service, changed the default startup type to “Automatic”, hit apply, and then restarted the service. I have not received the error message at start up since making this change. "

Seems to have worked for me though I am unaware of other consequences from doing this.

GDE64
    Sunday, April 4, 2010 12:57 AM
  • The workaround of changing the service to Delayed Start may help with the problem of the Health Status temporarily being set to critical when a machine boots up, but that is the opposite problem from what is being discussed here.

What is being discussed here is:

1. Computer is on and running, and health status is green.

2. User shuts down computer. All other computers on WHS get Health status red (critical) due to no firewall/antivirus/antispyware running on the machine that was just shut down.

3. Everyone's health status stays critical until the computer that was shut down is booted back up (which could be several days later), and it is able to update its status to the WHS.

This is a very annoying problem, and I greatly look forward to a solution. If there's no solution coming in WHS Power Pack 4 or a hotfix, maybe a new major version will cover it.

I can, however, offer a workaround that is guaranteed to work. Disclaimer: This is really only feasible for laptops.

Before shutting down the laptop, disconnect its networking first. If it is wired, unplug the ethernet cable. If it is wireless, switch off the antenna or disconnect from the wireless network using the network tray icon. With the networking yanked, the WHS connector cannot "phone home" while the computer shuts down, and nobody gets critical alerts.

kariya21: I don't have a Connect account, and don't really want to sign up, but would be most appreciative if you would search for a bug like this, and if you don't find one, submit one. I'm sure a lot of other people would be appreciative as well.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 4:59 AM
  • BTW: I tried setting the Security Center service to depend on the WHSConnector service, so that when Security Center shuts down, it takes WHSConnector down with it, but that didn't seem to work. Did the same with the individual antivirus services. No joy there either.
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 5:02 AM
  • On 6/19/2010 12:02 AM, Scovndrel wrote:

BTW: I tried setting the Security Center service to depend on the WHSConnector service, so that when Security Center shuts down, it takes WHSConnector down with it, but that didn't seem to work. Did the same with the individual antivirus services. No joy there either.

Something to try is to shut the connector software down before you shut the computer down. See if that takes care of it.  If so, then it's a case of the connector needs to go down before everything else.  I'm not sure how you could automate that.

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 6:14 AM
  • I have tried both AVG and Avira on my Windows 7 machines and I still get critical errors as soon as the Win 7 machines are shut down or put to sleep. I don't understand how this is not more widespread with more people demanding this issue fixed by Microsoft. WHS and Windows 7 should work with all AV software out there.

Are there other people running Windows 7 and AVG, Avira, Security Essentials, or Kaspersky without these Critical Alert issues on shutdown?

Thanks in advance!

Sunday, June 27, 2010 1:20 PM
  • I am running secuirty essentials on all my Windows 7 Machines 32/64 bit ultimate and I don't see the problem.  Howerver at work with Trend Office we do see the problem.  It all depends on how or when your AV system shuts down before the connector software. 
    --
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 1:37 PM
    WHS and Windows 7 should work with all AV software out there.

You're putting the cart before the horse, here. Microsoft provides a framework within windows that AV vendors can plug into. If they don't do what Microsoft/Windows expects, then it's not Microsoft's job to fix things up.

In this particular case, it looks like a timing issue. AV is shutting down early enough for Windows to alert (briefly) to the lack of AV. This then gets transmitted to Windows Home Server. It's a valid alert; your AV protection has been shut down. The order in which services (AV runs as a service, as do the Windows Security Center and the Windows Home Server connector) shut down is, in general, indeterminate unless there's a dependency relationship between two services. In that case, dependent services (children) will shut down first, then the service they depend on (parent) can shut down.

I would advise you not to mess about creating dependencies that don't get set up automatically unless you really know exactly what you're doing. it's a pretty good way to cause a variety of issues with your computer, ranging from subtle and not very disturbing to quite severe.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 1:44 PM
  • This isn't anything new and has been reported for almost 1.5 years.  People have reported it and no one is doing anything about it.  I am almost ready to turn off network health notifications on all of my PCs as a result.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3941

• Proposed as answer by Mizark M Monday, September 27, 2010 2:06 PM
    Friday, July 9, 2010 2:27 AM
  • What is even more annoying is that MS have coded the notification system so that only the thread that raised the alert can remove it.  That is why no Add-In that supresses these alerts has been created in case anyone was wondering.
    --
    Friday, July 9, 2010 3:38 PM