Home Server "drops out" RRS feed

• Question

• I mostly leave the server on with disks set to turn off after one hour.  Power button behaviour is set to shut down.

After some period of time, the server is no longer visible on the network and refuses attempts to link from the console on a client machine.  Error message says it isn't there.

Thinking it was hung, I pressed power button hoping for an orderly shutdown.  No shutdown occurs but the button depression seems to wake it up from whatever netherland it has gone to - lots of disk activity and reappearance on the network.  As it is not set to sleep, or hibernate, what could be going on?

On another topic, I'd like to minimize power consumption by letting the server hibernate at a regular time, wake up automatically and then wake up client machines individually to perform backup.  Is this doable?  My main personal machine has numerous wakeup modalities - by time, by lan etc.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:45 PM

All replies

• From your description, your server is going into a low power mode (standby/suspend mode, I would guess). Are you certain you haven't configured it to do so?

Also, have you connected your server to a UPS? Often an inexpensive UPS will panic when there's a brief power fluctuation and trigger a shutdown of connected equipment.

As far as hibernation is concerned, it's not supported out of the box. You might want to look into the Lights Out add-in for Windows Home Server, which will do most of what you're asking for, I think.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 5:13 PM
  • From your description, your server is going into a low power mode (standby/suspend mode, I would guess). Are you certain you haven't configured it to do so?

Also, have you connected your server to a UPS? Often an inexpensive UPS will panic when there's a brief power fluctuation and trigger a shutdown of connected equipment.

As far as hibernation is concerned, it's not supported out of the box. You might want to look into the Lights Out add-in for Windows Home Server, which will do most of what you're asking for, I think.

It would seem that way - low power mode - I checked and it didn't seem to be configured that way.  It did say "balanced server....." but hibernation was not enabled.  I changed this to always on - disk off after one hour - see if it recurs.  No UPS.  I'll look at "lights out".
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:01 PM
  • I have the exact same issue.  For apparently no reason whatsoever, my home built WHS decides to check out from time to time.  I have no add ins, power is set to the default "Balanced Server" and hibernation is set to disabled.  It and one external hard drive are all that are attached to a 550VA APC UPS.  No screen savers are active, disks and display are set to never power down.

The strange thing is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason...but once a week it just decides to check out, and although the fans spin, the power LED stays on, there is no disk activity and it "goes grey" on all of my clients.  The onboard Realtek GigE Ethernet controller supposedly has WOL, but no amount of wake up attempts...ping, console access attempt, or RDP will wake it from its slumber.

The difference between my issue and alexcomp's is that mine does not awaken when I hit the power button...it instead cycles a reboot.  I have the power button behavior set to "shut down" in the BIOS.

Server is a Sempron 140 with 1MB DDR2-800 running on a Gigabyte M68M-S2P, with 1 WD 500GB SATA Boot Drive and 2 WD Greet 1TB drives running off of an Antec EarthWatts 380W PSU, no other peripherals.

Other than this quirk it runs cool, quiet, and flawlessly, backing up a large Win 7 Pro x64 desktop, a pair of Win 7 x64 Home Premium Laptops, and an XP 32-bit desktop.

Friday, April 2, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Try disconnecting the USB (or serial?) cable from the UPS to the server and see if the behavior continues.
    Friday, April 2, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Mine is not connected to a UPS so the usb hypothesis doesn't work in my case.  I also have a Sempron processsor running my WHS.  I wonder if that could be a common thread.  My power options are also set to shut down on power button but in my case, it wakes up.  I changed the power setting to always on rather than default "balanced server".  Hasn't happened recently but I left it off for a few days so not much experience.
    Friday, April 2, 2010 10:08 PM