Migrating Phone Calls and Fax RRS feed

• Question

• When migrating phone calls or fax, you have a number of lookup fields: From, To, Regarding, and Owner.
    Owner will be straight forward.

When I try to migrate phone calls or fax activities through Import Wizard, the system cannot resolve Sender, Recipient, and Regarding fields because they all look for multiple entities.

What is the best way to migrate phone calls and fax?
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hi Jacob,

Same here, a custom asp.net app through the SDK would be the best. If you familiar with CRM, you can mess around with the activity party table to get those in. But that's not supported by Microsoft.

This applies to any activities contain FROM, TO fields.
    Darren Liu | 刘嘉鸿 | MS CRM MVP | English Blog: http://msdynamicscrm-e.blogspot.com | Chinese Blog: http://liudarren.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:51 PM
  • A custom application would only be better if you have phone calls and faxes which have multple recipients.  The sender field and the regarding field can both only contain one record, so those are not a problem just like Owner is not a problem.  I have successfully imported phone calls with a single recipient from a text file.  If you have many phone calls and faxes which have multiple recipients, then a custom app using the SDK is by far the best choice, but if you only have a handful, import the phone calls and faxes with one recipient and edit the others by hand.

You will run into problems if you have two records with the same name, for instance a lead and a contact named John Smith, or two contacts named John Smith.  To get around this limitation, you can do one of two things:  Either edit the names of the duplicated records to make them unique or use the guid of the record instead of the name field in the import file.
    • Marked as answer by SPCRMCnst Sunday, June 7, 2009 11:31 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:06 PM

All replies

• You can use the guid of the record in your import file instead of the name of the record.

On the import record, what is failure reason for the phone calls not imported?
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:36 PM
  • Hi Jacob,

Same here, a custom asp.net app through the SDK would be the best. If you familiar with CRM, you can mess around with the activity party table to get those in. But that's not supported by Microsoft.

This applies to any activities contain FROM, TO fields.
    Darren Liu | 刘嘉鸿 | MS CRM MVP | English Blog: http://msdynamicscrm-e.blogspot.com | Chinese Blog: http://liudarren.spaces.live.com
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 7:51 PM
  • A custom application would only be better if you have phone calls and faxes which have multple recipients.  The sender field and the regarding field can both only contain one record, so those are not a problem just like Owner is not a problem.  I have successfully imported phone calls with a single recipient from a text file.  If you have many phone calls and faxes which have multiple recipients, then a custom app using the SDK is by far the best choice, but if you only have a handful, import the phone calls and faxes with one recipient and edit the others by hand.

You will run into problems if you have two records with the same name, for instance a lead and a contact named John Smith, or two contacts named John Smith.  To get around this limitation, you can do one of two things:  Either edit the names of the duplicated records to make them unique or use the guid of the record instead of the name field in the import file.
    • Marked as answer by SPCRMCnst Sunday, June 7, 2009 11:31 PM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 8:06 PM
  • Thank you for the responses.
    I'm not sure how GUID will solve this problem for From, To, Regarding field lookup resolving error.

So there is absolutely no way to migrate phone calls and have them resolve the correct From, To, and Regarding unless you write a custom code?
    Is there a way to restrict lookups for From to USER, To to ACCOUNT, and Regarding to ACCOUNT? Would this, if it's even possible to restrict the lookups, solve the lookup resolving problem?

Thanks in advance!
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:14 PM
  • I have successfully imported phone calls with the correct Sender, Recipient and Regarding.  The resolving error usually means the import process cannot find a single matching record in CRM.

Here is a sample of my import file:

Subject,Sender,Recipient,Regarding
    "test phone call", "Riddle, Richard1", "Riddle, Richard1", "Riddle, Richard1"
    Note I am using automatic mapping.  Each of the parties on my phone call is a contact; CRM attempts to resolve the reference using the "name" attribute, fullname in the case of the contact, and the guid, which means I could have a file that looks like this:

Subject,Sender,Recipient
    "test phone call", "Riddle, Richard1", D800CCBC-159F-DA11-BE1F-00034730E53C

and it will still import correctly.  Post a sample of your import file and I will test importing it into my CRM 4.0.

Thursday, June 4, 2009 8:23 PM