none
Money cannot locate money.mny or cannot open it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've moved to a new PC and installed microsoft money 2004, when I try to open the .mny file it says it is converting the .mny file to use.

An error appears

Error message: Money cannot locate money.mny or cannot open it, possibly because it is a read-only file, you do not have permission to change it, or your disk drive is write-protected. If you have chosen the correct file and it cannot be accessed, you will need to click OK and then Restore your most recent backup file.

I cannot repair the file because I can't actually open it to do this. I have tried restoring the backups but the same error message appears.

I can create a new file to use successfully.
    The file does not have read only ticked in properties.
    I am using Windows XP and money 2004.

It is the same version I had on my previous PC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Kyle

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:31 AM

Answers

• You must have Money 2005 (released in 2004), the installed version from your CD will be Money 14.x.x.730.

You need Money 14.0.120.1105 because the data file format changed.

Money 2005 UK - QFE2 will update your installed version. If you need to reinstall in future, this will be all you need: it installs a full copy of Money 14.0.120.1105.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:53 AM

All replies

• You must have Money 2005 (released in 2004), the installed version from your CD will be Money 14.x.x.730.

You need Money 14.0.120.1105 because the data file format changed.

Money 2005 UK - QFE2 will update your installed version. If you need to reinstall in future, this will be all you need: it installs a full copy of Money 14.0.120.1105.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Thanks, that did the trick
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:10 PM
  • DominicP..... I am tempted to say "I love you"

In April my PC crashed I upgraded everything to Win 7 from XP. Everything worked apart from MS Money, I had no idea it was a deleted product, desipite having a passport account  and a legitimate licence no one from MS had advised me.

After much soul searching and hours online I gave up and bought another product. However I have since discovered that all my stock records, virtual rent books from tenants etc were in MS Money which I could not (until now) get access to. Dowloading that link has solved the problem. Thank you very very very much :)

Adam

Saturday, August 20, 2011 1:36 PM
  • DominicP you're a star!   I nearly blubbed when, after a OS re-load, I couldn't open my Money account.  Years of data in it!  Now it's all up and running!

Blasphemy I know, but is there a better and more up to date money management software package around?  ..Moneydance any good?

Many thanks for your help!

Sunday, October 2, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Hi DominicP,

Just to say thanks for posting this message.

Struggled with this for weeks, I would have lost years of data.

Just downloaded and installed the exe as instructed it opens my mny file like a treat.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:10 PM
  • Thankyou so much DominicP!!  I've been trying for months to open my money file on a new pc..  I finally figured I needed the later version but couldn't find the upgrade (and Money certainly wasn't helping)..  Then I came across your link..  And now its all back and running.

Thankyou..  like someone else has said.. you are a star!!

Annie

Monday, April 9, 2012 12:20 AM