Printing Quotes RRS feed

• Question

• When I create a quote and then attempt to Print a Quote, it opens up Word and says the CRM add-in button will appear in either the Add-ins ribbon or the Mailing ribbon.  But it does not appear.  Macros have been enabled.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 7:48 AM

Answers

• You are correct, it is running in compatibility mode because the template was created in 2003.  I don't think CRM is creating the file as a 2003 doc because I have not seen that behavior in the past.  Are you on CRM 3?  If printing quotes with this method is an important business requirement, then I would open a ticket with Microsoft support to resolve the issue.  I don't think we are going to be able to successfully solve the issue.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, April 10, 2009 9:34 PM

All replies

• Try the troubleshooting steps provided to see if that resolves the issue.  I copied them below for reference.  Another option is to build a report that displays the quote data the way you want to see it and upload that to CRM.  Train users to use the Report button to generate their quote and then export it to pdf or Excel and print as needed.

Here are the troubleshooting steps provided in Word.

This message can appear if:

The macro was deleted from the template.

The template was not loaded or referenced in the Templates and Add-ins command.

The macro was turned off by the macro security settings of your system.

If the macro security settings are not allowing the macro to run, you should confirm the origin of the macro to be sure that it can be trusted (contact the developer or the source for the macro). You can then temporarily enable all macros by using the following procedure.

Click the Microsoft Office Button, click Word Options, and then click Trust Center.

Click Macro Settings.

Under Macro Settings, click Enable all macros.

NOTE: Be sure to change this option back to its original setting after you have run the macro.

If the macro is not accessible because the template is not loaded, click the Microsoft Office Button, click Word Options, and then click Add-Ins. At the bottom of the Add-Ins pane, select Templates from the Manage drop down list, and then click Go. In the Templates and Add-ins dialog box, click either Attach or Add. If the macro is not in the template, you may need to copy the macro from one template to another. Click the Organizer button at the bottom of the Templates and Add-ins dialog box to start the Organizer utility.

Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Donna

Thank you for the response.  Unfortunately it did not resolve the issue.  Interestingly, when I click the Print button, the dialog box reports that it is opening a Word 2003 Document.  If I go through the process on a workstation that has Word 2003 instead of Word 2007, the macro runs fine.

But on my Word 2007 workstation, the macro does not appear in the ribbon.

Mark
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 5:15 PM
  • I think you have your answer.  You need to use Word 2003. 

Just kidding of course, but there could be some truth to it.  What does your Print Quote button look like?  Is it possible that you have a custom button installed in your CRM application for printing quotes or that someone has modified the default function to use a specialize Quote document? 

I ask, because I don't experience the dialogue box regarding Word 2003 and I don't see a message like "CRM add-in button will appear in either the Add-ins ribbon or the Mailing ribbon".

Does the Quote that you want to print display in Word?  If so, are you able to save the document to your hard drive with a .doc extension or something like that? 

Best Regards, Donna
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:23 PM
  • Here is a screen print of the open/save dialog box and the resulting word doc when I select Open.

(Well it seems I can't attach the word doc, so look at it here:  http://www.TexasMetroData.com/picts/CRM_Error.pdf)

Thanks
    Mark
    Friday, April 10, 2009 3:40 PM
  • Microsoft Word shows that it is running in compatibility mode.  Is there any custom code behind your Print Quote button that is related to something that was developed in Word 2003?  If so, clear the custom quote reference and use the 'standard' Print Quote button which will use mail merge to create and allow you to print the quote.

Best Regards, Donna
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Friday, April 10, 2009 6:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by mnicks Friday, April 10, 2009 6:57 PM
    Friday, April 10, 2009 4:51 PM
  • I wonder what would cause Word to run in compatibility mode?  And how do you prevent that?  My guess is that it's the fact that CRM is creating the file as a 2003 doc.  I have run the print with no templates and with the default template provided by Dynamics with no different result.
    Friday, April 10, 2009 6:57 PM
  • You are correct, it is running in compatibility mode because the template was created in 2003.  I don't think CRM is creating the file as a 2003 doc because I have not seen that behavior in the past.  Are you on CRM 3?  If printing quotes with this method is an important business requirement, then I would open a ticket with Microsoft support to resolve the issue.  I don't think we are going to be able to successfully solve the issue.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Friday, April 10, 2009 9:34 PM