How to Restore a Windows 7 Machine Using WHS ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone
    I Need some help here, I am running Windows 7 64 bit
    and I need to restore a HD But Now unlike before there are 2 Partitions
    the Main Large Partition and a Smaller one 200meg ?
    Unlike before there was only one choice choose the drive
    Now its showing the Partitions and asking me what one to restore ????
    I tried each one and the Drive wont boot ?

I upgraded the WHS to the Beta PP3 and still don't know how to do it
    because its not just asking me to restore the C: Drive  its showing the partitions
    and I'm confused.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have a bug filed with Connect regarding this issue. It can be found
    here and lists a few workarounds that you can do to restore the windows 7 image properly.

Essentially, that smaller partition is called the "System Reserved" partition and is created by the Windows 7 installer when installing Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to a blank unpartitioned hard drive and contains the files for boot, the Windows Recovery Environment, and lays the ground work for the Bit Locker feature in Windows 7. (Note: this predisposition towards these Windows 7 editions in regards to the "System Reserved" partition is RTM behavior and will not be created when installing a lower end edition. RC and earlier always creates this partition when installing to a blank drive).

You will need to restore both partitions properly otherwise you system will not boot as that partition contains required boot files. You can do this by using Disk Manger on the WHS restore disk to create two partitions one for "System Reserved" and the other for the OS partition. Be sure to create the "System Reserved" first and Name it as such when creating the partition as that needs to go at the beginning of the drive. You will also need to mark that partition as active by right-clicking it and choosing mark as active. From there, WHS restore should let you map the two partitions from the backup to the two newly created partitions on disk and you should be good to go.

While this should help if that smaller partition is indeed the "System Reserved" partition it is curious that it is 200 MB in size as it should be normally 100 MB in size for RC and RTM. By any chance are you running beta build 7000 of Windows 7 as that build did create a 200 MB "System Reserved" partition?

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Essentially, that smaller partition is called the "System Reserved" partition and is created by the Windows 7 installer when installing Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to a blank unpartitioned hard drive and contains the files for boot, the Windows Recovery Environment, and lays the ground work for the Bit Locker feature in Windows 7. (Note: this predisposition towards these Windows 7 editions in regards to the "System Reserved" partition is RTM behavior and will not be created when installing a lower end edition. RC and earlier always creates this partition when installing to a blank drive).

Just to let you know, the "System Reserved" partition is also created when using the Home Premium. I've tested it and for both upgrade and OEM version of RTM. This makes sense because as you say for the Bit Locker, it needs this parttion. So, if I want to use express upgrade previously called "Windows Anytime Upgrade" in Vista, the partition needs to be there for all Windows 7 edition in order to use the unlocked features of Windows 7 Pro, enterprise, and finally Ultimate.

On the other hand, this is a well known issue that WHS can not restore a computer with 64 bit OS. I know there is some workaround to restore the computer for which I didn't test because I'm still with 32 bit systems.

Hope it helps a bit,

Klode
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:15 AM
  • That's odd; I got that information regarding Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate from this thread in the Windows 7 forums. Also regarding 64 bit support for WHS, I thought that was introduced with Power Pack 1.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 7:44 PM
  • You just have to put the 32 bit drivers for your NIC on a usb drive and install it on the computer you're going to restore prior to running the WHS computer restore disk.  It will give you a screen that displays the drivers and offer you the option to scan for additional drivers.  The scan will pick up the 32 bit drivers on the usb disk and let you use them to make the connection to the server.  Without the 32 bit NIC drivers you'll never connect to the server.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:08 AM
  • Hey Emed
    Thanks , you you are right the first Partition is only 100meg not 200 like I originally posted

Thank you for the information I will give what you told me to do by making 2 partitions a try this weekend
    But can I get the restore Disk to Restore Both Partitions at the same time or do I need to do them separately?

Again, Thank you for the help ! 
    I cant believe Microsoft didn't see this as a Very confusing problem and Hope they fix this quick.

I tried one way of Using the Backup Utility in Win 7 Ult to make a complete Image
    But because I was re imaging it to a Larger 650Gig drive ( The Original was 300 gig Raptor)
    it only showed 280 gig I used the System tools to combine the extra Unused part of the disk
    and it worked but I was getting all kinds of errors !

Thanks again I will try it this weekend and let you know how I made out.

Steve
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 11:15 AM