Custom Entity mapping to a Customisable Entity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, this may be really simple but I just need some help to set this up.

Basically I want to create a Custom entity called '1st Line call Logging' with the fields Product (lookup from product entity), Functionality (custom dd), problem (custom dd). Once I have created the the entity and published I would create a record as per normal. This record needs to be converted into a case if required and the fields from the custom entity populate the case. Is this possible to do as I am not sure how to add a button or option to 'Convert to Case'.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:53 PM

Answers

• The easiest way would be to add a realtionship between Case and '1st Line call Logging' entities so that a Lookup field of '1st Line call Logging' would show on the Case form. This will then by default show an Associated Case list in the left hand nav pane of your '1st Line call Logging' entity. The user can just select to create a Case from this list.

If you would like a button then perform the action just described by creating a Case from the Left hand Nav pane of the '1st Line call Logging' entity and when the Case screen loads get the URL. The url will contain queryparameters that define what the entity was that the Case was created from. You can use this url with a button iSV.config or custom) but you need to build the url using javascript and use the crmForm.ObjectId value of the '1st Line call Logging' form to ensure the Case loads knowing which related entity it was created from. First thing is to inspect the url so you can see what I'm talking about.

The mappings can be setup between the two entities by going to the relationship in the entity customisations area and adding them there.

MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by Mark Laming Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:04 PM

All replies

• The easiest way would be to add a realtionship between Case and '1st Line call Logging' entities so that a Lookup field of '1st Line call Logging' would show on the Case form. This will then by default show an Associated Case list in the left hand nav pane of your '1st Line call Logging' entity. The user can just select to create a Case from this list.

If you would like a button then perform the action just described by creating a Case from the Left hand Nav pane of the '1st Line call Logging' entity and when the Case screen loads get the URL. The url will contain queryparameters that define what the entity was that the Case was created from. You can use this url with a button iSV.config or custom) but you need to build the url using javascript and use the crmForm.ObjectId value of the '1st Line call Logging' form to ensure the Case loads knowing which related entity it was created from. First thing is to inspect the url so you can see what I'm talking about.

The mappings can be setup between the two entities by going to the relationship in the entity customisations area and adding them there.

MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by Mark Laming Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:54 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Hi Mark,

You can easily acheive this as you have options:-

Button Creation

1. In ISV

2. Onload using Java Script

Entity Creation

1. using Worklfow

2. using Plugin

3. using Java script