Problem restoring Win7 to Macbook Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm running a WHS with SP2 in my home for 8 computers, and it has worked great for several years now.  I also have new 17" Macbook Pro (newest model) with the 500G hard drive split in half, one for Mac OSX Snow Leopard and the other for Win7 Pro 64-bit with the Bootcamp drivers.  That all works really well.

I have been using WHS to back up the Win7 partition with no problems.  However, I upgraded the hard drive and now want to restore the Win7 image to the MBP.  I boot the restore disk no problems, but it does not see the network drivers for the MBP.  So I opened that WHS backup on another machine, and went to the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" and put all those folders on a USB stick so WHS restore could load the appropriate driver for the ethernet device.

Watching the USB stick activity light, you can see it scanning the various directories, then some solid light as it sees and downloads the drivers.  A window comes up and says "Drivers were found for your hardware, Click OK to see the detected hardware", but clicking just returns to the detect hardware window with nothing new in the Network Devices box.

I thought maybe some of the other Restore folders might have drivers it recognized and it missed the network driver, but removing all but that and repeating the steps made no difference.  Anyone with suggestions on what to try next?  I'm out of ideas.

--Bill
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:39 AM

All replies

• You will need 32 bit bootcamp drivers; the Restore CD environment isn't 64 bit.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 3:40 AM
  • All I have been able to find are the Bootcamp 3.1 32 and 64-bit update files.  They contain only BCUpdateInstaller.exe, BootCampUpdate32(or 64).msp and NvidiaGraphics.cab.  Nothing that WHS seems to know about.  Can you be any more specific about the individual drivers needed or where to get them?

--Bill

Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:45 AM
  • All I have been able to find are the Bootcamp 3.1 32 and 64-bit update files.  They contain only BCUpdateInstaller.exe, BootCampUpdate32(or 64).msp and NvidiaGraphics.cab.  Nothing that WHS seems to know about.  Can you be any more specific about the individual drivers needed or where to get them?

--Bill

Honestly, no. I don't own a Mac, I just know that the Restore CD doesn't support 64 bit drivers and your network and storage drivers are undoubtedly 64 bit given what you've told us.

You will need to ask Apple how to extract the drivers you need (network and storage) from the packages they supply (if Apple will give you the time of day when you mention it's for an issue with a non-Apple product), or wait for someone else who has already solved this to chime in, or exercise your search engine of choice and do some experimenting (my own personal favorite :) ).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Extract the Marvell drivers from the bootcamp drivers folder. Install winrar and right click the exe, extract to USB key. Answer is a bit late I know! My problem is I've restored my win7 image to the drive but it doesn't boot. Hmmmm
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 7:51 AM