Graphics card needed for on the fly transcoding/streaming of media? RRS feed

• Question

• I've search the forums, but the end result is very vague....

anybody have any info/input on this?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:18 PM

All replies

• maybe I should be more descriptive:

I'm looking to minimize my equipment. I currently have a 'server' tucked away in a closet that can stream 5 HD streams simultaneously throughout the house to various devices (xb360, ps3, other pc's, popcornhours, and other linksys extenders).

A friend of mine has turned me on to whs, i've seen the pre-builts (hp mediasmart, acer) around in stores, but on first glance and cockiness I just thought it was a glorified NAS or at the very least a 'smart' external HDD.... however, needless to say Im interested.

would a diy whs box need a graphics card to transcode on the fly to multiple machines?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 10:23 PM
  • Transcoding on the fly doesnt revolve from the graphics card, its to do with processor and Ram, aslong as the machine has over 2.0GHz and about 1gb or more RAM you should be fine. I used to use Tversity on a 2.2GHz Sempron Single core processor and 1GB 800 RAM and it worked like a charm. But check to make sure the program you are using for transcoding can work on WHS, as people have had problems with Transcode and others havent.
    HMG
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:23 PM
  • tyvm. for some reason i used to think transcoding needing at least some graphic card. im big on using used equipment and pushing it to the max....its just before i know i had a transcoding problem due to graphic card not being sufficient enough, but maybe there was another problem i forgot about....

either way, thanks alot!!
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:25 PM
  • i think i remember now...when i solely had just a media center pc and i would try multi HD streams.... an error would pop saying i need a bigger graphics card, this why i confused the issue.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:27 PM
  • Transcoding on the fly doesnt revolve from the graphics card, its to do with processor and Ram, aslong as the machine has over 2.0GHz and about 1gb or more RAM you should be fine. I used to use Tversity on a 2.2GHz Sempron Single core processor and 1GB 800 RAM and it worked like a charm. But check to make sure the program you are using for transcoding can work on WHS, as people have had problems with Transcode and others havent.
    HMG

also, btw... you said used to, past tense...

why dont you still use Tversity?
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 11:37 PM
  • apart from not having that server anymore, Tversity is not compatible with WHS although you can install it like you can on any OS, but getting it to work is a different story, some have managed and other havent. Anyway I had mine setup and 8 months ago, about a month after i built it and it ran ok for about 6 months and then one day it did work anymore, I do not know if it was due to an update or anti virus or something else. Everytime I tried to transcode it would take about 15 mins to get the movie buffered and then it kept buffering every few seconds, so in the end I decided that I would convert the files that are incompatible with the 360 instead of using tversity. Tversity is the only Transcoder I trust, I have tried orb and twonky and I dont think they are any good. So its up to you, you can try, might work and might not, but I went through about a week trying to figure out what happened.
    HMG
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 6:05 AM