Windows Vista BETA 2 fails to validate under WGA RRS feed

• Question

• I know Vista is still in BETA 2, but testing is testing after all.

I have already registered and validated my MSDN copy of Vista Beta 2, but WGA says the OS is still not supported, thus I'm unable to download all my favorite free XP software for testing on my Vista box.

I hope you'll fix this real soon! Anyway, I'll be filling an error with Beta support.

Thanks,
    sarechaga

Thursday, June 1, 2006 1:52 AM

Answers

• sarechaga:

I just asked the devs working with Vista:

As of recently, we are able to validate and detect Windows Vista Beta 2 properly (though we list it as Unsupported OS). Its supported during validation properly as an unsupported OS... by design.

The WGA Catalogue is only for supported operating systems that WGA validates (unfortunately). Those downloads have not been tested fully for Vista Support (though many have gone through testing, a handful have not, as I'm aware).

I would still file an error bug requesting to get these features put in ASAP (we have them in schedule, not to worry), but it'll give the developers a good push. :)

Sorry for the inconvenience,

-Phil Liu

Thursday, June 1, 2006 2:25 AM

All replies

• sarechaga:

I've confirmed that we *DO* validate Vista Beta 2 as of recently.

Where are you trying to access downloads from exactly?

Thank you for your continued feedback and help, I hope you enjoy Vista Beta 2. :)

-Phil Liu

Thursday, June 1, 2006 2:02 AM
  • I first just tried to validate at http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/default.mspx?displaylang=en.

After clicking on "Validate Windows" the browser goes to a new page and get the following:

Validation is not currently supported for this version of Windows or for this non-Microsoft operating system.

[0x80080200]

Why did it not validate?

It appears that you are using an operating system that is not currently supported by the validation process.

Aftwerwards, any attemp to access the WGA catalog fails.

Sarechaga

Thursday, June 1, 2006 2:10 AM
  • After verifying three times (including a machine restart), the main validation pages continues to fail to recognige Vista as a valid OS.

Oddly enough, by going directly to a download (ie http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=32b0d059-b53a-4dc9-8265-da47f157c091&displaylang=en), the validation suceeds and the download is permitted.

sarechaga

Thursday, June 1, 2006 2:20 AM
  • sarechaga:

I just asked the devs working with Vista:

As of recently, we are able to validate and detect Windows Vista Beta 2 properly (though we list it as Unsupported OS). Its supported during validation properly as an unsupported OS... by design.

The WGA Catalogue is only for supported operating systems that WGA validates (unfortunately). Those downloads have not been tested fully for Vista Support (though many have gone through testing, a handful have not, as I'm aware).

I would still file an error bug requesting to get these features put in ASAP (we have them in schedule, not to worry), but it'll give the developers a good push. :)

Sorry for the inconvenience,

-Phil Liu

Thursday, June 1, 2006 2:25 AM