Can't access old client backup RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks in advance for the help.

When I moved away from using WHS I retained some of my old client computer backups just in case I'd need them. Of course that's now happened but I'm having tremendous difficulty getting one of those backups to mount. I no longer have a machine on my network running WHS so I set up a VM with a fresh install and updated it fully. I then stopped the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service service, the Windows Server Client Computer Backup Service service, and the Windows Server Server Backup Service service. I copied all of the files from my original client backup location to the new one, overwriting any duplicates with the files from the original install. Unfortunately after repairing the backup database the "additional info" screen indicated that the backups associated with the computer I'm after were lost. 

I also tried taking a copy of the Client Computer Backups folder in question, stopping the aforementioned services, and then using the "Move Folder" command to move the Client Computer Backups folder into the same one where I'd placed all of my old backups. That brought notifications that the database was in need of a repair so I did so. At that point I was able to see the old computer listed in the Computers and Backup WHS tab but, unfortunately, I could not mount its backups from another computer, getting errors every time I tried to do so.

I've also tried booting into a fresh VM with the Client Restore CD in hopes of simply restoring the machine to a VM. Every time I tried to do so I'm able to connect to the server via the Restore Wizard just fine but at the step when I would normally get a choice of which computer I want to restore I instead get an error message about an unknown network error and the wizard refuses to proceed.

Based on my needs the ideal solution would be to be able to use the WHSDBDataDump application (http://wiki.covecube.com/WhsDbDataDump_2.0) to construct a VHD of the backup image but sadly the application doesn't work for me. While it certainly can see the backup listed among the files I have the same problem with it that it looks like many others do in that when you try and use it to access some backups you get an error "Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow." Maddening, really, given that the application would do precisely what it is I need to.

Any help or direction you could give would be greatly appreciated. I'm working on recovering quite a few old photos belonging to my wife. The only thing I really care about here is getting into the files within these client backups any way I can.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that client computer backups are created by old WHS which has been removed. And you want to restore a client via the backup using a new fresh installed WHS.

In general, it is recommended to move server folders such as client computer backup folder using the move option from Dashboard, in order to avoiding problems/ losing data.

>I could not mount its backups from another computer, getting errors every time I tried to do so.
    What is the error message? And event has been logged?

>when I would normally get a choice of which computer I want to restore I instead get an error message about an unknown network error and the wizard refuses to proceed.
    As it is a newly fresh installed WHS, and the client backups are manually added later, I am wondering if it is permission related problem.

Open “c:\programdata\microsoft\windows server\log” and check the log files.

In general, I would recommend to have a backup about the WHS, including client computer backup databased, then, restore this WHS as a VM, and have a client restoration via this WHS.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that client computer backups are created by old WHS which has been removed. And you want to restore a client via the backup using a new fresh installed WHS.

In general, it is recommended to move server folders such as client computer backup folder using the move option from Dashboard, in order to avoiding problems/ losing data.

>I could not mount its backups from another computer, getting errors every time I tried to do so.
    What is the error message? And event has been logged?

>when I would normally get a choice of which computer I want to restore I instead get an error message about an unknown network error and the wizard refuses to proceed.
    As it is a newly fresh installed WHS, and the client backups are manually added later, I am wondering if it is permission related problem.

Open “c:\programdata\microsoft\windows server\log” and check the log files.

In general, I would recommend to have a backup about the WHS, including client computer backup databased, then, restore this WHS as a VM, and have a client restoration via this WHS.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to <b>mark the replies as answers</b> if they help and <b> unmark</b> them if they provide no help.<br/> If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact <a href="mailto:tnmff@microsoft.com"> tnmff@microsoft.com</a>.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

You can click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 1:54 PM