none
A question no one seemed to be willing to give a straight answer.....

Question

• I asked this question in other forums and all I got was a run around snow job.

My question is very simple......

Does a MVP need to answer x number of questions and get x number of marked answers in order to keep the MVP status.

In short, is there a "quota" a MVP must fulfill ?

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• I didn't see any of your posts in the other forums so I don't know what you think a "straight answer" is, but that's all I give.

None of us really knows why we are awarded MVP status.

You might not like the answer but it's straight.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:03 PM
  • I've seen MVPs with only a few hundred points, so I'd say that there isn't.

MVP is awarded for many things, not only forum participation.

Here's some information:

http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/becoming-an-mvp.aspx

From that link:

There is no set benchmark for becoming an MVP, in part because it varies by product and product life-cycle. Some of the criteria we evaluate include the impact of a nominee’s contributions to online forums such as Microsoft Answers, TechNet and MSDN; wikis and online content; conferences and user groups; podcasts, Web sites and blogs; and articles and books.

Here's some thoughts from MVPs on the program:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/14422.how-to-become-a-microsoft-mvp-by-mvp-s.aspx

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 13,225+ strong and growing)

• Marked as answer by david hk129 Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:33 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:27 PM
  • That's pretty much what I said!

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:23 AM
  • None of us really knows why we are awarded MVP status.
    Wow, I find that to be quite surprising. I don't know much about the program, but they really don't tell you who nominated you and why? That's something I'd probably want to know, personally.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:43 AM
  • It's no doubt that if you want to renew your MVP Award, you must provide enough contributions you have made in the last one year.

Contributions could be either online or offline activities. There is no "Quota" you have to fulfill. If you can provide enough offline contributions, your online answers could be none. But if you don't have enough other contributions, the online answers could be a very important evidence to show what you have done online.

Is that clear?

Alexis Zhang

http://mvp.microsoft.com/zh-cn/mvp/Jie%20Zhang-4000545
    http://blogs.itecn.net/blogs/alexis

|I asked this question in other forums and all I got was a run around snow job.
    | Does a MVP need to answer x number of questions and get x number of marked answers in order to keep the MVP status.

• Marked as answer by david hk129 Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:46 AM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:15 AM
  •  But if you don't have enough other contributions, the online answers could be a very important evidence to show what you have done online.

That is what I want to know.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:46 AM
  • None of us really knows why we are awarded MVP status.

Wow, I find that to be quite surprising. I don't know much about the program, but they really don't tell you who nominated you and why?

I've been awarded since 1996, and have no idea either!

Dave

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:26 AM
  • Wow, I find that to be quite surprising. I don't know much about the program, but they really don't tell you who nominated you and why? That's something I'd probably want to know, personally.

Mike,

I tried to nominate someone (AHEM, YOU), and you need an email address for the nominee.

But, when I was nominated I just received a generic "You have been nominated for the MVP award letter"

Mine was so generic that is said I was nominated for SQL Server, which I can barely spell :)

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

• Edited by Just Karl Wednesday, May 6, 2015 4:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:40 PM
  • I have been awarded since 2003. I don't know who nominated me (if anyone), and I can only guess it was because of my activity over the previous year in the old newsgroups, since that was my only activity at the time.

I am sure there are no hard and fast rules. Certainly, many activities can count: forum participation, Wiki and gallery contributions and activity, speaking at conferences, writing articles and books, etc. I also believe that each technology area makes their own selections. Also, quality counts over quantity.

I personally believe the criteria varies by technology. Some areas have many experts, and people I see with lots of useful activity are not named. And some people with lots of activity may not fit neatly in any particular technology area.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 4:29 PM
  • Another reason people who may seem to deserve the MVP are not awarded is that (In the USA anyhow), they are government employees.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 4:55 PM
  • Very interesting, thanks for the information guys. I'm still definitely surprised, but I guess the program may be large enough that there can't be a personal touch to every nominee.

Karl - I absolutely appreciate the thought, but I'm not really sure I deserve that type of recognition. I may have a high point count, but I look at that as more of a measure of how much I've been active here rather than a measure of my knowledge. I can certainly send you an email if you'd like to have my address though.

EDIT: Karl - I've sent you an email to the address in your signature.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 5:35 PM
  • Please do send me an email.

I've a few reasons for wanting it :)

Karl

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 7:22 PM