Could someone succeed in getting my website banned/penalized? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently made an odd discovery that looks like some form of attack on my website reputation, and I don’t know what to do about it. I’m hoping someone might have some insight into what is going on and what I can do.

A few days ago I discovered that the "Links from an External Page" info in Awstats shows a large number of what I think are bogus websites that are linking to my website draydesign.com. When I visited the website I discovered that there is a link at the bottom of the page that says “Dray Design”, and links to my website. I found no less that 34 such websites that are linking to mine in exactly the say way. Here are a couple of examples - GIBAFUSE.COM, ISTAREOG.COM, CONGREWA.COM. They all have the same pattern, with a bunch of links down the page, with actual text pages behind each of the links.

All of the domains have been registered very recently.

The thing that really disturbs me about this is that they have included a link to my website on each of these websites.  This must be intentional, and I expect that it is to damage my business reputation.  My understanding is that search engine bots will pick up on this spammy stuff and end up penalizing my website or banning me all together.

Is this an attempt to get my website banned by Live? Will it work? What can I do about it?

Is there any organization I should report this to? Would it be worth trying to find out who is hosting these websites and let them know what is going on?

Thanks for your help.

… Duane

Monday, December 29, 2008 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hi Duane,

those sites didn't resolve for me. That being said, these will have little to no effect (positive or negative) on your site.

Brett

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Duane,

those sites didn't resolve for me. That being said, these will have little to no effect (positive or negative) on your site.

Brett

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Hi, Brett.

Thanks for the reply.

These websites that link to mine disappear after a couple of days, as though the perpetrators were taking advantage of the grace period for declining a domain name.

At one point when I checked, Google had about 15,000 such pages with links in its index, so this is definitely a campaign against my website.  I simply have no idea why or what they hope to gain.

Thanks again....Duane

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 2:39 AM