none
HPC 2008 SDK SP1 won't install on HPC Server 2008 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• I just attempted to re-install the HPC 2008 SDK SP1 service pack, and ran into the following issues:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2004911

Does anyone have a workaround suitable for a production system?

[Editorial about HPC Pack 2008 being in conflict with standard sysadmin practices deleted.]

Thanks,
    -Luke
    • Edited by Luke Scharf Monday, February 15, 2010 8:44 PM Make link clickable
    Monday, February 15, 2010 7:27 PM

Answers

• To get everyone on the same page here:
    HPC Pack 2008 will install on Windows Server 2008-based machines for headnode/compute node, and the client portion will install on XP SP3 & higher desktops, or Server 2003 & higher servers.
    HPC Pack 2008 Service Pack 1 is the most current released version. You can get the service pack through Windows Update (technically 'Microsoft Update') or the microsoft.com/downloads download site.

The client portion of the HPC Pack 2008 is a pre-requisite for full functionality of the 2008 SDK. If you don't have the client portion of HPC Pack 2008 installed on the machine that you are doing your dev work from, you won't be able to build some things.

Additionally the HPC Pack 2008 version and the SDK version must be 'matched' - i.e. you need to be running either the RTM versions of the Pack and the SDK, or the SP1 versions of each, you can't mix & match.

Once your application is compiled you would not need the SDK for the app to work - so you wouldn't need to deploy the SDK to all of your compute nodes.

Now, moving to the "R2" part of the discussion. HPC Pack 2008 R2 is currently in 'pre-release' / 'beta' form. The only way to get it is to sign up on the http://connect.microsoft.com/HPC beta program website and explicitly download it. It is not available through any other means (including WSUS). The HPC Pack 2008 R2 requires your head node to be running a Windows Server 2008 R2-based operating system, though compute nodes can be either 2008 or 2008 R2. There is a matching 2008 R2 SDK available from the beta program website that you'd use if you were developing with the new version installed. Same story about not needing to install the SDK on compute nodes in order for a compiled application to work...
    Friday, February 19, 2010 3:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Luke,

Do I understand correctly that you have the Beta of HPC Server 2008 R2 running your production cluster?

Can you tell us a little about why you need HPC 2008 SDK SP1 installed on your cluster and not, say, on a development machine?

Regards,

Patrick

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 8:05 AM
  • IIRC, I got Win2k8 R2 the update through WSUS...

The HPC 2008 SDK SP1 is due to a user-request.  It seems that his code won't compile without it, and I was able to reproduce the error with rather normal-looking code.  My libraries in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft HPC Pack\" are, indeed, older.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Hi Luke,

If you only need to compile your code with the HPC 2008 SP1 SDK, have you tried installing that SDK on a development machine that *does not* have the Beta of HPC Server 2008 R2?

Regards,

patrick
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:49 PM
  • If you only need to compile your code with the HPC 2008 SP1 SDK, have you tried installing that SDK on a development machine that *does not* have the Beta of HPC Server 2008 R2?

That is how my user is getting his work done now -- he has the HPC 2008 SP1 SDK installed on his local machine, and he's doing his builds there for the time being.

-Luke
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:57 PM
  • Hi Luke,

Yes, I think that's the only way. i.e. You can install the SP1 SDK on a machine with or without HPC Server 2008 SP1, but not on a machine with the Beta of HPC Server 2008 R2.

Regards,

Patrick
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:09 PM
  • To get everyone on the same page here:
    HPC Pack 2008 will install on Windows Server 2008-based machines for headnode/compute node, and the client portion will install on XP SP3 & higher desktops, or Server 2003 & higher servers.
    HPC Pack 2008 Service Pack 1 is the most current released version. You can get the service pack through Windows Update (technically 'Microsoft Update') or the microsoft.com/downloads download site.

The client portion of the HPC Pack 2008 is a pre-requisite for full functionality of the 2008 SDK. If you don't have the client portion of HPC Pack 2008 installed on the machine that you are doing your dev work from, you won't be able to build some things.

Additionally the HPC Pack 2008 version and the SDK version must be 'matched' - i.e. you need to be running either the RTM versions of the Pack and the SDK, or the SP1 versions of each, you can't mix & match.

Once your application is compiled you would not need the SDK for the app to work - so you wouldn't need to deploy the SDK to all of your compute nodes.

Now, moving to the "R2" part of the discussion. HPC Pack 2008 R2 is currently in 'pre-release' / 'beta' form. The only way to get it is to sign up on the http://connect.microsoft.com/HPC beta program website and explicitly download it. It is not available through any other means (including WSUS). The HPC Pack 2008 R2 requires your head node to be running a Windows Server 2008 R2-based operating system, though compute nodes can be either 2008 or 2008 R2. There is a matching 2008 R2 SDK available from the beta program website that you'd use if you were developing with the new version installed. Same story about not needing to install the SDK on compute nodes in order for a compiled application to work...
    Friday, February 19, 2010 3:31 AM