WHS Capabilities RRS feed

• Question

• I was on the Linksys web site and came across their new media hub.  It can handle three different and simultaneous media streams to computers, stereos and tvs.  I assume their SW is simply WHS re-packaged with a Linksys interface.  If not, does WHS have the same capability?  Second question, can any third party application sw be installed on WHS, such as Picasso, Adobe Elements, Windows Media Player, Itunes, etc  to manage the photos and music (as applicable) that are stored on the server?

Thanks.

Doug
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 2:18 PM

All replies

• As far as I can see, that line of Linksys devices is not running Windows Home Server. (Probably it's a heavily customized Linux distro.) As for the rest of your questions, take a look at the Windows Home Server minisite, where I think they'll be answered for you.

Regarding installing applications on your server: Windows Home Server is designed to operate as a "headless" device on your network. As such, you would have no way to access applications such as the ones you ask about. It's possible to install them anyway, though it's unsupported, and doing so has a potential to cause system instability or to complicate any recovery process in the case of e.g. OS corruption.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 8:33 PM