WHS and Seagate 1.5TB drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

am I the only one having troubles with WHS and the new 1.5Tb seagate drives? I purchased two of them, had problems with the first, got it replaced, used the second in between, had the same problem. Then got the first back (new device) and had the same problem again.

The problem is that when I am copying large files, after a few GB, the drive fails, i.e. the copy fails, the drive becomes unavailaible. If I shut down the server (but not reboot) and then start it again, the drive reappears.

This is a serious issue, i.e. with loss of data. And given it happened with 3 different devices of the same model, I doubt the device itself is the cause of the issue. Can WHS handle 1.5TB drives?

Charles
    • Edited by cm2187 Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:22 AM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:21 AM

Answers

• I think I found the source of the problem. Looks like updating the BIOS solved it.

thanks for your help!

Charles
    • Marked as answer by cm2187 Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:13 PM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:13 PM

All replies

• Have you tried other drives in your WHS?  Perhaps there are some things you need to disable, i've heard some drives don't support command queuing.  What are the specs of your WHS?
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:36 PM
  • It's a P4, 3.4Ghzm 2gb of ram, and the motherboard is an Asus P5B.

The c drive is a 1tb and seems to be working fine. What settings can I play with to try to sort the problem? Can I desactivate this "command queuing"? 

Charles

Saturday, October 25, 2008 2:57 PM
  • In addition the seagate drives seem to work fine on another computer, winXP, pretty much the same motherboard (PB5 Deluxe). So it's really down to Windows Home Server
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Hi Charles,
    does the issue happen if you copy locally on the server from disk to disk or if you copy over the network?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:19 PM
  • I am copying over the network.

I updated the BIOS. Testing right now if it solves the problem.

Otherwise I installed MS SQL Express on the server. I did that before even plugging any of the 1.5tb drives, so I would be suprised if that was the cause of the problem. I also installed two add-in: Disk Mgt + Lights Out. Don't know if it can have an impact. Disk Mgt says the temperature of the drives is normal (32 C), and it is a pretty well ventilated enclosure.

Just can't see what can cause that.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:26 PM
  • From former Windows Server 2003 experiences I know, that it can happen, that copying big files (over network or locally) is taking up more and more Explorer ressources until Explorer stops responding at all.
    I never managed to figure out the reasons for such behaviors, but found them most often happen on IDE disks (which is not the case in your system).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:11 PM
  • I think I found the source of the problem. Looks like updating the BIOS solved it.

thanks for your help!

Charles
    • Marked as answer by cm2187 Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:13 PM
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:13 PM
  • [RANT]
     Hi, I was going to answer what your problem might be, but this forum doesn't work in Opera 9.5, so just in spite I logged in with IE just to nag about it.
    Blame MS who can't make webpages.
    [/RANT]
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:20 PM
  • Ok, since it's not your fault this forum sucks:

Seagate 1.5TB ST31500341AS (SD17) potential firmware issue:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1080005

This seems to be exactly the problem you are describing, with the cache that goes postal.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 10:22 PM
  • Fleksnes said:

[RANT]
     Hi, I was going to answer what your problem might be, but this forum doesn't work in Opera 9.5, so just in spite I logged in with IE just to nag about it.
    Blame MS who can't make webpages.
    [/RANT]

Oddly enough, the forums seem to work quite well in every browser I've tried except Opera: IE (of course), Firefox, Mozilla, Chrome, Safari, etc.

Blame Opera.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 31, 2008 3:47 AM