none
Place the Post Author on the Top with Bigger Avatar

All replies

• Please move the poster and responder identity to the top of a post, not the bottom.  It's useful to know who is responding before reading a long post.

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

• Merged by Naomi NModerator Friday, June 21, 2013 4:07 PM Similar request
    • Proposed as answer by MisterJenks Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:23 PM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 12:22 AM
  • And while you're about it, make the avatars bigger like they used to be. Just use the space that's currently being wasted by that pointless grey box.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 12:34 AM
  • Absolutely!!!!

~~Bonnie Berent DeWitt [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com

Friday, June 21, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Currently the poster's name and avatar are hidden on the lower right side of the post in tiny text and are quite hard to see. Please return these to the top left of the post, or at least make them more visible. I would much prefer for the name and avatar to precede the actual post content.

EDIT: My thread was merged with this one, but there's no indication of that anywhere. I've started a new thread on that here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d2b51b57-6150-457c-b409-35bd680fbb6b/threads-that-are-merged-should-clearly-show-this-information

• Merged by Naomi NModerator Friday, June 21, 2013 3:09 AM Same topic
    • Edited by Mike Laughlin Friday, June 21, 2013 3:17 AM Obvious
    • Proposed as answer by MisterJenks Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:24 PM
    Friday, June 21, 2013 2:52 AM
  • This thread has now shown me a rather large and glaring issue. There's a thread for this already, but I'm not able to find it by clicking the Next button. The second page jumps way back in the past. Can anyone else actually find this thread in the list?

Poster identity should be at beginning of post, not end

EDIT: This is only happening when the Suggestions and Feedback forum is the only forum selected in the checklist. If I add in another forum, I can then see the post I'm referencing above.
    Friday, June 21, 2013 2:49 PM
  • I found the exact same problem myself. I had to use Unanswered filter to find a thread in this forum. I believe it is a bug related to Sticky threads bug. Can you please create a bug thread although there was one before in Forum's Issues on that topic?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, June 21, 2013 3:57 PM
  • The gray box seems to indicate if a post is a question or a comment. That's a LOT less valuable than seeing the person who posted it. The new design breaks standard IM / forum conventions that people are used to and just causes confusion.

Friday, June 21, 2013 4:02 PM
  • I found the exact same problem myself. I had to use Unanswered filter to find a thread in this forum. I believe it is a bug related to Sticky threads bug. Can you please create a bug thread although there was one before in Forum's Issues on that topic?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

I found a similar post in the Issues forum, I'll post to it with this information.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4ea4f819-21f8-410b-93db-a55ad0fed124/clicking-on-next-page-should-really-show-the-posts-which-should-be-on-the-next-page

Friday, June 21, 2013 4:10 PM
  • The gray box seems to indicate if a post is a question or a comment. That's a LOT less valuable than seeing the person who posted it. The new design breaks standard IM / forum conventions that people are used to and just causes confusion.

Actually, the grey box indicates if the THREAD is a question or a comment (discussion). So it is repeated for every post in the thread, wasting space that could be used for the author/avatar.

One of the most inconvenient thing about forums, as opposed to NNTP, is that every forum software has a different interface. But this new design carries different-ness to new levels of inconvenience.

My solution to this would be to use the NNTP bridge, but (apparently by coincidence) the new UI has coincided with the de-commissioning of the Live ID authentication of the bridge.

Please bring back the bridge, so that those who choose to can be unaffected by these recurring forum UI changes.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Sunday, June 23, 2013 11:29 AM
  • Yes, name of poster should be on top. This is highly valuable, both who is asking the question who is responding (or trying to response when he shouldn't...)

But as I am normally an NNTP user, I can be without the avatars. They are just silly if you ask me.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:49 PM
  • I don't like that the new forum style puts the name of the person who wrote the post/reply at the END of their text rather than the beginning.  This makes it more difficult to know who is speaking because I have to scroll to the end of the post before I know who wrote what I am reading.  Please organize it so that the identity of each person is clearly indicated at the BEGINNING of their post/reply.

It makes it very difficult to know (or anticipate) if the next reply in a thread comes from a previous participant in the thread or is a new participant.

There's overwhelming precedent to identify the author of the text before presenting the text:  refer to any chat program, email program, or messaging service.  The identity of the speaker is always made clearly known before the body of the text is presented.

Monday, June 24, 2013 1:39 PM
  • There's a voting thread for this suggestion here as well:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cbcb51e5-92d3-49ab-a9eb-753321f83ab2/place-the-post-author-on-the-top-with-bigger-avatar

This really needs to be addressed, it's driving me crazy. The timestamp should be at the top as well, in my opinion.

• Proposed as answer by MisterJenks Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:25 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Reed Copsey: That is one of THE most helpful suggestions I've seen - it also helps weed out posts that you don't want to read through completely - i.e., "Oh, that one is from [Crazy Reed Copsey], so I can skip it."

tnjman

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:40 PM
  • Not that 'Reed Copsey' is crazy - I was just using that as an example. ;-)

tnjman

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:41 PM
  • Not that 'Reed Copsey' is crazy - I was just using that as an example. ;-)

tnjman

Well, you may not be that far off the truth with your example ;)

Reed Copsey, Jr. - http://reedcopsey.com - If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post. If you find a post helpful, please click Vote as Helpful.

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:42 PM
  • And the TIME-DATE stamp as well! Someone else has mentioned that, but it makes sense. Poster, Time, Date, TOP-LEFT please! Or TOP-CENTER; heck, even TOP-RIGHT would be better than having it at the bottom!

tnjman

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:43 PM
  • Definitely - time-stamp and Avatar and/or UserID should be at TOP! *TOP* I say.

tnjman

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:49 PM
  • And what you are saying makes perfect sense.

So, was it that way "before," and now they've changed it?

See, the forums we poisoned for a long time, so I stayed away from them.

I never really knew the 'old' format, so I have nothing on which to base a valid comparison of 'old' vs. 'new.'

Either way, POSTER IDENTITY & TIME-DATE STAMP ON TOP!!

• CAN WE *PLEASE* GET A STATUS on WHEN that can get done?

Where is it in the queue of "things to be done?"

Inquiring Techs want to know...

tnjman

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:52 PM
  • And my guess is that such changes (putting time/date stamp + author identity at the top) are NOT difficult - i.e., it would be simply "changing the order of how the forum pages are rendered). Right? The info, clearly, already is here - just "change the order" and put that info at the top. Thanks!

tnjman

Thursday, October 10, 2013 6:56 PM