Can't configure backup on previous PC in the HUB RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had one computer that I was using as a Hub, but then decided to quit using it as a hub. Even though it is no longer a hub, I still can't configure backup on a pc that was previously assigned to this hub.

When I click on the "Configure backup button, it tells me that the backup is already configured by the account owner.

I am assuming that this PC is still thinking it is a member of a hub. If so, there should be a way to command a refresh status on the pc that won't allow the setting to be changed so onecare on this pc quits treating this pc as a member of the hub.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 6:45 PM

Answers

•  Carl Taylor wrote:

I had one computer that I was using as a Hub, but then decided to quit using it as a hub. Even though it is no longer a hub, I still can't configure backup on a pc that was previously assigned to this hub.

When I click on the "Configure backup button, it tells me that the backup is already configured by the account owner.

I am assuming that this PC is still thinking it is a member of a hub. If so, there should be a way to command a refresh status on the pc that won't allow the setting to be changed so onecare on this pc quits treating this pc as a member of the hub.

I'm not sure how this post got overlooked until it moved to the top with the replies, so sorry for the delay.

Try making the PC a hub itself - Open OneCare, click on Your OneCare Circle, select the option to make the PC a hub. Sign in and then configure backup.

If this doesn't work, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:18 PM

All replies

•  

Hey there-

I am having the same problem as well.  If anyone knows how to fix this problem it would be really nice!\

-Chris

Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:07 PM
  • I have a related problem or maybe the same one.  I needlessly complicated my backup situation by naming my desktop as the hub; we only have one other computer on the network.  I am not able to backup my computer because i can't do the backup plan.  I would like to simply undo the designation of hub for my computer and let both PCs act independently but i don't know how to undesignate the 'hub' curse.  I hope someone knows how this might be done and will share the info.  Thanks.  Gerald

Monday, August 18, 2008 1:27 AM
  •  Carl Taylor wrote:

I'm not sure how this post got overlooked until it moved to the top with the replies, so sorry for the delay.

Try making the PC a hub itself - Open OneCare, click on Your OneCare Circle, select the option to make the PC a hub. Sign in and then configure backup.

If this doesn't work, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Monday, August 18, 2008 3:18 PM
  •  Gerald Raymond wrote:

I have a related problem or maybe the same one.  I needlessly complicated my backup situation by naming my desktop as the hub; we only have one other computer on the network.  I am not able to backup my computer because i can't do the backup plan.  I would like to simply undo the designation of hub for my computer and let both PCs act independently but i don't know how to undesignate the 'hub' curse.  I hope someone knows how this might be done and will share the info.  Thanks.  Gerald

Open OneCare on the hub PC, click on Your OneCare Circle, under the top listing is a link to "stop making the PC a hub" (wording from memory!) Click that and it should no longer be a hub PC.

Before doing this, reset the backup plan for both PCs as follows:

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click Configure Backup

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve
    Monday, August 18, 2008 3:20 PM