none
VS 2015 is not stopping at Breakpoints?

Question

• I'm having a bizarre problem that started recently ... when I place a breakpoint in my code (in my web service code) the exact same test scenario will sometimes not stop at my breakpoints and just continues code execution.

If I exit VS 2015 and then restart VS 2015 and load my solution, run the exact same test scenario and data, then breakpoints start working again.  They work for about 30 minutes or so, then just stop working and I have to exit and restart VS 2015 again.

This isn't an error on my side, mode is set to Debug (not release), breakpoints are the same, the source data I'm testing against is the same.

I've been using VS 2015 for a long time and never experienced this problem before.

Any suggestions other than wipe my OS and re-install everything that may or may not solve this issue?  I really some proper method to log and/or report why VS 2015 has started behaving this way?

Rob.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 11:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

Does it have this issue in other VS 2015 machine or higher VS version? Which kind of really app did you debugging, WCF or others? Whether other project has this issue or just the specific one?

No project is hard for us to really reproduce this issue, whether it shared any warning if you put the mouse on the breakpoints during you debugging(Like symbols not loaded or not found or others)?

Please also troubleshooting this issue with the following steps:

(1) Update VS 2015 to the latest version, run VS as the admin.

(2) Enable the symbols servers under TOOLS->Options->Debugging->Symbols

(3) Disable “Enable Just My Code” and "Require source files to exactly match the original version" under Tools->Options->Debugging->General.

Debug your app again.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018 2:29 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Unfortunately that didn't solve the issue, in fact the problem is worse now ... when stepping thru my code during a debug session I'm seeing step bar (yellow highlight) on "comment" lines ... it's as if the debug file is NOT in sync with the source code.

No idea why this has recently started, I've been debugging this project for over a year without a problem and suddenly the last week or so I've encountered this rather bizarre issues?

Clean Solution and/or Rebuild Solution have no affect on the problem, still remains.  THE ONLY work around I have so far is to exit VS, restart VS, load my solution and continue ... this works for about 30 minutes then the problem will return.  It's as if VS is corrupting the debug symbol cache or something?

EDIT: my project is using TFS for source control.

Rob.

Friday, November 2, 2018 10:15 PM
  • Hi Rob,

How about running VS as the admin?

If you reset your VS settings after you open your app, and then debug it, what about this issue?

As you said that you use the TFS in your side, not a good suggestion, but if possible, you could take a backup for your project and copy it to another new local machine, as far as I know, we could edit the project files and remove all source control information, and just really debug it locally without connecting to the TFS or others, view the result again. At least, we could make sure that whether it is related to the TFS or others.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 5, 2018 3:18 AM