none
Change product keys of installed Windows 7 to family pack keys RRS feed

• Question

• I have three computers that had Windows Vista Home Premium installed.  I bought three retail copies of the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade discs.  I did a clean install of Windows 7 on all three computers using the three individual keys.  Can I now buy a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade family pack and change the keys on all three computers to use this key without reinstalling?  The objective is to change the keys on the three computers to free up the keys to use on other computers which are not located in my home.  If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:14 PM

Answers

• There is functionality to change and then attempt to activate a key in the systems properties pagem, however I do not know if you can change one upgrade key for another. I believe it will see the registry entry that indicates that install was done as an upgrade and therefore allow the key to activate however, if it does not work then you would have to do clean installs of vista and then install the W7 from the family pack thus freeing up the 3 seperate upgrade keys.

If possible I would just use the family pack on the three other computers but there are probably limitations on the types of enviroments the family pack can be used in.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, October 25, 2010 10:01 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:53 PM
  • I have three computers that had Windows Vista Home Premium installed.  I bought three retail copies of the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade discs.  I did a clean install of Windows 7 on all three computers using the three individual keys.  Can I now buy a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade family pack and change the keys on all three computers to use this key without reinstalling?  The objective is to change the keys on the three computers to free up the keys to use on other computers which are not located in my home.  If anyone has a better idea, please let me know.

Please see: Update Your Product Key in Windows 7
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, October 22, 2010 2:59 AM
  • I think you misread my original question.  I don't have any full install keys - everything is upgrade keys.  I want to replace a single retail upgrade key with an upgrade key from a family pack.

You stated: "I did a clean install of Windows 7". 

If your statement was correct then my original post still stands. Upgrade keys will not work in a Clean install.

If you were mistaken and you in fact did an Upgrade install, then changing the Upgrade keys for the Upgrade keys from a family pack, should not be a problem.

Darin MS
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:01 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately,  this will not work.

Upgrade keys would not be accepted in a Clean install. 

The only way to get to your objective would be to reinstall Vista on the three computers and then do an Upgrade install to Windows 7 Home Premium, using the Upgrade keys.  To could then use the Full install keys on other computers as you wish.

Hope that helps,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:56 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ETruss60 Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:20 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:56 PM
  • I think you misread my original question.  I don't have any full install keys - everything is upgrade keys.  I want to replace a single retail upgrade key with an upgrade key from a family pack.
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:21 PM
  • There is functionality to change and then attempt to activate a key in the systems properties pagem, however I do not know if you can change one upgrade key for another. I believe it will see the registry entry that indicates that install was done as an upgrade and therefore allow the key to activate however, if it does not work then you would have to do clean installs of vista and then install the W7 from the family pack thus freeing up the 3 seperate upgrade keys.

If possible I would just use the family pack on the three other computers but there are probably limitations on the types of enviroments the family pack can be used in.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 11:53 PM

Please see: Update Your Product Key in Windows 7
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, October 22, 2010 2:59 AM
  • If possible I would just use the family pack on the three other computers but there are probably limitations on the types of enviroments the family pack can be used in.

Right.  That is my understanding too.  I believe the family pack keys must be used within the same household.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 8:52 PM

You stated: "I did a clean install of Windows 7". 

If your statement was correct then my original post still stands. Upgrade keys will not work in a Clean install.

If you were mistaken and you in fact did an Upgrade install, then changing the Upgrade keys for the Upgrade keys from a family pack, should not be a problem.

Darin MS
    Monday, October 25, 2010 10:01 PM