Can software installed on WHS be used by connected PC's RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to temporarily install an upgrade to a program on the WHS so the users can try it out ahead of time. Some software does not allow you to have both the old and the new version installed on the same PC. Sometimes the upgrade operates very differently and would cause problems if the users can't complete their work because they can't figure out the upgraded version of the software.

Can I install a program on WHS and have the 3 connected PC's be able to run it from their desktop. Once they are familiar with the new version, then I would remove it from the server and install it on their PC's.

Thank you in advance for any advice on this topic.

Rick
    Friday, May 29, 2009 1:56 AM

Answers

• I would like to temporarily install an upgrade to a program on the WHS so the users can try it out ahead of time. Some software does not allow you to have both the old and the new version installed on the same PC. Sometimes the upgrade operates very differently and would cause problems if the users can't complete their work because they can't figure out the upgraded version of the software.

Can I install a program on WHS and have the 3 connected PC's be able to run it from their desktop.

No.  When you install an app on a computer, it adds more than just the files you see in the Program Files folder.  It adds settings to the registry that, without those settings, won't work.  (Not to mention that installing any app on WHS is unsupported.)

Once they are familiar with the new version, then I would remove it from the server and install it on their PC's.

Thank you in advance for any advice on this topic.

Rick
    My suggestion would be to set a VM for them and let them use that.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:13 AM