second try of full restore fails to boot RRS feed

• Question

• I've only ever tried a full restore from WHS twice. The first time, a year or two back, worked fine. This time, not so fine.

Restore target is a Sony laptop running Vista Ultimate 32 with all of the service through Thursday night. Restore CD is the November PP3 version, for a target >512MB RAM.

Restore proceeds entirely normally until the client reboots. Reboot fails saying that \Windows\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys is missing or corrupt and provides error status 0xc0000221.

Any suggestions?
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:11 PM

All replies

• Can you get into safe mode?  The wdf01000.sys is part of the vista keyboard drivers.  Do you remember if you have special keyboard drivers for your laptop, sometimes if you have some special keys the OEM might have used their own driver.  From safe mode you should be able to go to Device Manager.  First try I would remove the devices for keyboard and reboot.  If it still doesn't work then try finding the Vista 32-bit drivers for your laptop (should have been saved off but maybe the backup didn't do this because it thought it was a core driver in the WinPE environment used to do the restore) and install these in safe mode.

--
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Safe Mode boot ends the same way. I have no idea whether there are Sony unique kb drivers, but, knowing Sony, there are and they are installed/setup in ways that are not "The Microsoft Windows Way".
    Friday, February 19, 2010 5:15 PM
  • So, as these things sometimes go, I tried again. As insurance, I stopped off, mid-restore, in Disk Management and formatted the partition. Continued on, all same as last time. When the Rebooting machine complained about having been shutdown abnormally (since the WHS backup was of a running system??!?) I elected Safe Mode. It booted. I rebooted normally. It rebooted. Who knows why this attempt at more or less the exact same thing ended differently than the first?

Some notes re. a full restore like this:

Offline File status for net shares seems to have been lost.

The sample Recorded TV stuff is lost as are shadow copies and recycle bin contents. This stuff is set to be lost by the backup settings that exclude them. When you set these settings they seem inocuous enough. When you do the full restore you wonder about what was there that you might want someday that is now lost…
    Friday, February 19, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Shadow copies can't be backed up because the same data store (the System Volume Information folder in the root of every drive) is used by backup. The recycle bin could, I suppose, though I'm not sure why one would want to. The reason for recorded TV is something I've never asked the product team about, but I assume it's because you can always re-record your TV...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 19, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Dick:

The "abnormal shutdown" is completely normal and for the reason that you suspect. Windows keeps track of its run status in a file and consults this file at boot time. When you shut down normally the file contents show that Windows was shut down. When you backed up the PC, Windows was running. Upon restoration of the backup the file was restored with the status of "running". Windows sees this at boot time and flags it as an abnormal shutdown. You didn't need to start up in Safe Mode; ignoring the message and starting normally would have worked.

Microsoft was smart to exclude the shadow copies from being backed up. Including them in the backup would take up more space and would be pointless since they will not survive image restoration. For the shadow copies to be valid, every sector on the partition would need to be restored to the exact same location (the shadow copies keep track of differential changes at the sector level). This does not happen on a WHS restore.

I have other imaging software that backs up all in-use sectors on the disk including the VSS storage area. Yet when the disk image is restored, shadow copies included, Windows notices that the shadow copies are no longer valid and it deletes them and starts over. So including shadow copies in a backup is pointless unless your imaging software is capable of doing a sector-by-sector restore with all sectors going back to their original locations.

I have had occasions over the years to go back to an old (non-WHS) image and dig a file out of the Recycle bin. So I agree that it would be nice if WHS had a setting to include/exclude the Recycle bin contents from the backup.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:54 AM
  • First, thanks for your replies.

Yes, I understand why the shadow volume stuff is not backed up. And I basically understand the others as well at some level.

Here's the deal:

1) One gets used to having these safety nets whether one needs them today or not. So losing them seems a loss. (Knowingly eating into a safety margin is always a loss of safety. The margin was there for a reason to begin with.) Sure stuff that was on the client at the right times before being deleted will be in the client backups. But my primary reason for WHS is Safety Net and these are holes in that net. I wasn't saying they should be fixed or WHS is evil for doing it the way it does. Just rhetorically noting that a WHS System Restore is NOT an image restore of the system. I knew this going into it. But it still gives me some pause and should give other users pause: WHS System Restore doesn't wind your system back to what it was at the time of the backup. It just gets restored to a very good approximation of "the important parts". I was doing this restore because I erroneously started the wrong Sony utility and it took off restoring lots of the "factory" bits from the value add and crapware package--including pieces of the original bundle long since patched with newer pieces. System Restore was the only sane way I could figure out to get to the previous total system state. Only it can't quite get there.

2) Loss of MY recorded TV would be no big deal if I actually had any. But what I lost was the Vista installed samples. Yes, I understand they are just samples. But they are part of Vista as installed so, after a WHS restore, I don't have the "Out of the Box" Vista I did when I backed up. I agree it's almost a "tree falling in the forest" kind of problem. But it still offends my sense of "system restore".
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 4:53 AM